Tips for newbie?

R

runmofo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
hiya im quite new to poker, been playing zynga poker for a little bit now only getting into cash games,
any top tips for a beginner?

dzubis

dzubis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Im not a pro either, but i play for about 10 years so far. If i would have to give advice, - i would suggest low stake tournaments for beginner. With cash games you get punished quite harder if you make a mistake. Can't really give any advice on cash games tho as i avoid them. Tournaments are better that way, - people tend to bluff bit more often and there are gaps u can notice in player gameplay. If i think about it, i could use some tips for cash games too.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
hiya im quite new to poker, been playing zynga poker for a little bit now only getting into cash games,
Hi.
Welcome to our community. The only advice for you, to get started, pay attention to our free course. It will help you better understand the basics of the game and get better results.
Good luck.

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Well there are places here if you need some advice from a pro you could one of them on the podcast.
As from me i started at .05to.10 cash games and have made out pretty good so far going from 30.00 to 585.00 in a month but i don't play everyday and i'm no pro i've had my ups and downs be very careful. money lost in not easy to get back!Good luck and keep it fun!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study as much as you can and have discipline to always follow your bankroll management.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main thing is not to rush to switch to big bets and stick to the bankroll rule.

O

oroochimaru

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Avoid being on tilt, it's easier said than done, but sometimes just realizing it will stop you from making a poor play.
Even if you're not playing, keep an eye on every hand to learn more about the other players and to acquire a sense of their playing styles.
I'd also read some books on poker. You can skim through some of the repetitious material you'll find in them.
Start with fundamental poker strategy before progressing to more complex concepts. I was eaten alive at the poker tables before I learned about poker strategy. Reading about poker can truly change the way you play the game and make you a winner instead of a person who plays fairly evenly.
You should always keep in mind that how people view and play the game is constantly evolving.

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started with Zynga myself however after it changed from getting chips every hour to buying chip and millions every 3 hours i stopped playing and found cardschat, The course helped a bit being active getting access to all available tourneys and pretty soon you get yourself a begginning bankroll start up good luck! https://www.cardschat.com/forum/new...ilder-new-members-415269/page-31#post-6308815

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Often you will find yourself in situations where you have hands that are one card short of hitting a flush or a straight. The general rule here is that if your opponent bets heavily, then more often than not it won't be profitable to try to pull your draw. However, if the opponent will bet low, then it would be quite reasonable to play a call in the hope of getting there. If your opponents' bets are too big to call with draws, then you shouldn't.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Welcome, good advice is to be humble, recognize mistakes, a lot of study, patience and dedication good luck and success

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
First of all, you need to be patient and disciplined.
You should always follow the bankroll management system and play only with strong cards. In addition, freerolls are ideal for a beginner, which allow you to gain skills and not risk your own money.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
for starters, you should start playing tournaments and not cash games after studying poker on the Internet try everything you learned on the Internet in practice

Madalin Poke

Madalin Poke

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Hmm, I feel I can give a spiritual advice today.

Never enjoy your opponent's misfortune.

The specific situations in poker are very oscillating, they often defy every statistical calculation in the end and the wheel of fate is dangerously round, wich means that it can turn against you very easily and quickly crush your stack.

So always respect the game and the people at the table.

Cheers!

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Be patient and stick to bankroll management and accept that losing is also part of the game. Play as good as you can only play premium hands and don't bluff. Only when you have learned to assess your opponents correctly and have gained some experience in poker can you possibly start trying to bluff. Don't be surprised if you lose more in the beginning than you win if you stick to bankroll management, it won't hurt you all too much. And accept that you sometimes lose to worse hands.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Welcome to poker. One of the most misunderstood strategy games out there.
First things first. Take the Cards Chat 30-Day Poker School. It's free. It will tell you more about poker than a newbie will realise exists.
Position...Aggression...Ranges...equity...Pot odds...EV...Value Betting...
Next, you need to ID your bankroll and read up on bankroll management. In a nutshee, the size of your bankroll should restrict the stakes you're going to be playing.
Third, you need to identify the games you plan to play. Cash and Tourney have some differences. For the moment, I'll assume that you are a tourney player...afterall, this will be the format of Cards Chat Freerolls...
Fourth -- I know we haven't even started to talk aout poker...but believe me, however you are playing today...it is TOO LOOSE. I've never met a noob (including myself) who wasn't playing hands they shouldn't be from positions they shouldn't be playing certain ranges from. ie You are ignoring the importance of poisitional ranges.
Fifth - start developing your intel from the start. I'd prefer to start by using a HUD...but that can be overwhelming and requires additional investment. In the absence of a HUD, use both pencil & paper, as well as the notes functionality of your favourite poker site. poker stars has this...not sure bout all the rest. Your intel should identify: Nits (very tight players), TAG (Tight Aggressive), LAG (Loose aggressive), TP (Tight Passive), and Fish (Loose Passive).
You want to take copious notes of as many people as you can...bevause despite the thouands of players out there...if you become a regular, you will see the same faces again and again, and it helps to know their tricks.
I like to take note of limpers and their ranges.
I like to note who limps with a crappy ace (ie AX)
Who slow plays (ie doesn't bet when holding a set, straight, flush).
What they are holding when they dramatically run the clock down.
Any tendencies which are repeated.
Sixth - If you want to get better, you need to spend as much time studying as you do playing. You need to review your hands and determine where your mistakes were. This includes chip leakage, too many hands, positional range issues, chasing straights and flushes, ignoring "wet boards". Where did you call when you should have folded? When did you fold when you should have called?When did you fold or call when you should have raised?
Which hands went to showdown? When you won...could you have won more chips? When you lost, should you have known to give up earlier.
Next - stop watching pro poker. Sure, it's entertainment, but it's like watching Fast Times At Ridgemenont High to help with your High Scool Exams. Poker shows are curated. They remove the dross. They edit out the boredom. As a result, you are presented with a lot of abnorml poker behaviour. You cannot expect to pick up anything but bad habits from watching high stakes, professional poker.
next - know your limits. If you are playing poorly. Stop. If you are playing well. Keep playing. If I play three games in a row poorly, that's me done for the night. Discipline is essential and if it isn't there, you're not playing a strategy game anymore....you're gambling. And gamblers lose at poker.

You know what...I'll stop here. I think this should give you quite a lot to do for the next few months!

Have fun!

Cheers,
JT

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good luck. Nah, just worry about playing correctly by having a solid strategy. Don't focus on the hands you folded but could have won, that's just going to make you end up playing badly.

R

runmofo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
wow definitely a lot to take in, but will definitely be sensible and try to learn as much as i can, thanks for your tips everybody!

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't go to cash games until you feel confident that you can always make the right decisions in freerolls.
Winning or losing doesn't matter.

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn poker terms, charts of starting hands, basic strategies, master bankroll management and poker psychology. The rest depends on your goals and how disciplined you are.

Last edited:
Poker Tips