Tips for concentration

PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not always easy to keep your concentration for hours... Do you have any tips for keeping your concentration for 4 to 5 hours ?
Thank you in advance :wink:

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is not really an answer but what I have found to be true. In a live event I have no problem staying focused for long hours. In a online event I often just get frustrated and bored and just say WHAT THE HELL and call when I know im behind. I think because I'm sitting at home it is easier to say well if I lose I have other things I can do. At a live event I may have drove many miles and do want to have to leave with nothing and drive back home. My online game would be much better if I could just not get to the point where I dont care anymore. This happens in buy in or freerolls. So I absolutely did not answer your question but I hope I helped.

O

OnitheCroc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
regular breaks

Take regular breaks walk outside and when tired slow down decisions and drink caffeine !!!

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To stay focused for a long time, You need a constant stream of information that you will remember and analyze, so watch the game at the table, the behavior of the players, what cards your opponents show after raises and 3 bets.

In short, the more information you have, the better and easier it will be for you to concentrate.don't let your brain relax.:)

PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for sharing your experiences.
I have read comments on other threads and no one really has specific stuff for that. It's not easy when you don't have good hands from time to time ...

To stay focused for a long time, You need a constant stream of information that you will remember and analyze, so watch the game at the table, the behavior of the players, what cards your opponents show after raises and 3 bets.

In short, the more information you have, the better and easier it will be for you to concentrate.don't let your brain relax.:)
Nice 1nsomnia. ;)

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start playing for a short time, and gradually increase.

Do not start playing too many tables, gradually increase and keep a number that is comfortable for you, there is no problem playing few.

Schedule a time when you have no other activities, eat well beforehand, and schedule so you can take breaks to eat, or leave a snack nearby, consume water or juice, avoid to drinking alcohol to prevent having your game affected.

Use a comfortable chair, avoid bad posture, adjust the height of the monitor and the brightness so as not to force your vision too much, configure the position of the tables on the screen in an organized way.

Over time you will be able to reach your goals, avoid pushing yourself too hard, or taking shortcuts, after a few consecutive days take one to rest, go out for a while, allow yourself to always have a reward when you have good results, but nothing that can compromise your health or your results.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I, to be involved before anything else, do not play more than two tournaments at the same time in order to understand the development of the game well, read the villains and detect their errors. It is very important not to do other activities that affect our attention. If we don't feel like playing, it is better to try later and not play just to play. And then the music, the coffee and the mate help me stay focused haha

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take regular breaks walk outside and when tired slow down decisions and drink caffeine !!!

Agree its really hard when playing on line instead of in person.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that maintaining a concentration of 4-5 hours requires normal high-calorie food plus coffee.

PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your answers.
You brought good ideas. I'm going to practice some of them and I hope it helped others on the subject :icon_thum

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Concentration is very important and has a direct impact on your result. To improve concentration, I recommend, first of all, get rid of bad habits and start exercising regularly.
Good luck.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You heard such a saying - "in a healthy body, healthy mind" !!! Sport and relaxation before the game - my recipe for a long concentration !!!

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not always easy to keep your concentration for hours... Do you have any tips for keeping your concentration for 4 to 5 hours ?
Concentration on a job comes with the degree of attention you pay to that job. And your attention comes with the degree of interest you feel to-wards that job. During long hours of play whenever you feel boring, that is an indication that you are losing concentration. Continuously getting garbage hands may lead you to this situation. Your brain needs something of interest to work on.
Here is a tip you can try:
Take a deep breath. Hold your breath there till you can't hold it anymore. You have just created an emergency in your system. And in cases of emergencies your brain can't remain idle. It is bound to concentrate. Just re-shift this concentration to your play.

Last edited:
E

Enimen18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen some both good advise and bad on this thread. Concentration is definitely the most important part of a successful poker session.

Good things I read and my own good tips:
Good diet, regular exercise - does wonders for the body and brain. Poker is exercise for the brain and is grueling so having your body in the best state it can be is nothing but beneficial.

Be well rested - Again poker is mentally exhausted, so don't come to play already tired. That's a recipe for giving money away.

Meditation clears the mind of cluttered thoughts and brings a peace of mind that can boost concentration significantly. Meditate 2-4 hours before playing. I prefer guided meditations from YouTube. Personally I feel a bit tired immediately after meditating so I do it at least 1 hour before I start playing. I think the clarity of mind meditation brings can give you a unique edge in the game.

Bad advice:
Exercising immediately before a session. Leaving your body worn out right before you start playing won't help. If you exercise do it with enough hours for your body to recuperate. Also you don't need spiked endorphins in order to play poker well.

Smoking canabis - For almost anyone this will only harm your concentration. If anything it may give you a "I don't give a crap" attitude, which is not good. It slows the thought process, you want the most natural and clear mind as possible.

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to drink a lot of fluids in the middle of a race, eat, go out in the air for a little while, maybe drink coffee, so it's easier to concentrate.

N

Nairne

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Green tea and practice: concentration is a learnable skill. Make sure you’re giving yourself a chance by following a healthy diet, exercising, and sleeping - otherwise you’ll never be able to concentrate for as long as you need to.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you lose concentration during the game, then you have lost interest in the game. No need to force yourself to do what you don’t really like. Just don't play if you feel bored playing.

PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Clearly, you have to be good in your head and in your body to keep up the distance and stay calm.
For the body it's fine... to stay calm... there is work. :banghead:

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play poker at home and it is important for me to have a calm atmosphere during the game. Calmness has the best effect on my concentration. Sometimes music also helps me play more focused.

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be Mindful

I'd say step away from the game for a few minutes and meditate or do some deep breathing exercises. The 4-7-8 breathing exercise is great for stress reduction and relaxation. Have something light to eat, like a salad or turkey sandwich. Get up and take a quick walk every 15 minutes. Just enjoy the moment and stay in the moment. Good luck at the tables.

mountainfox

mountainfox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Listening to happy music and mediating should help you to concentrate for many hours.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to keep your concentration, the first thing I think you should do is keeping your health and your mental good by doing something like getting regular exercise, avoiding stress, relaxing... The second thing is you should have a clear goal when you playing (Why do you play? What do you want to get?). Like studying in school you will feel boring when you have to study something you don't like over and over. In poker, you also have to do something over and over again such as folding bad hands or waiting for a good hand in a long time, ... These will make you feel boring and lost your concentration. But a clear goal will help you overcome and stay focus on studying, it also will help you in poker. I think they are the two main things that will improve your concentration. Besides, there is something you can do if you feel they help you like listening to music, drinking coffee or tea, having a comfortable space, ...

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, just focus on the opponents, try to win the hands you play, many listen to music to focus, as well as playing a single table and trying to read the other players.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get it if I turn off the phone, TV, make tea immediately put a thermo kettle to pour coffee in my mouth, it is better to go to the balcony to play if you have a side in the shade, you can play outdoors if you live in a cottage (private house). But only in the absence of various factors, I get my best game.

Poker Tips