Time management

Sdub2020

Sdub2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always seem to play way longer than I plan. How do I get better at playing shorter sessions. Any advice?

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
If your game is running, then you are at the moment when the random number generator favors you. I think at this moment it is necessary to use these advantages and win. Having won the amount, you need to be careful and if you see that the cards have ceased to go to you, it is better to take a break and leave the game. The main thing is to be able to leave the game at the right time.

pro100phil

pro100phil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wanted to give you advice, but then I realized that I have the same problem:D

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had similar problem in the beginning. It is important to calculate how much time you have to play without interfering with your other life activities, which tournaments you will play and how long they take to complete if you win (it is very important to always have the time if you run deep).

Here is small example how i choose what to play. I usually come back from work at home around 7 PM and start playing around 8 PM after dinner. At maximum around 01:00 AM i need to go to sleep so that i can be fresh at work tomorrow so that means a playing window of around 5 hours. I like the big 0.55$ MTT starting around 9PM GMT+3 but looking at the pokerstars lobby it can easily continue till 4 in the morning if i run deep so instead of it i choose the hot 0.55$ which is turbo and runs much quicker. I can also play cardschat 100$ freerolls which usually bubbles around 00:20AM.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless it's a tournament, I tend to be someone who plays shorter sessions than longer ones. Maybe it's just jumping from one table to another, other times I just stop completely and take a break for some time or end my play for the day. That's part of the beauty and appeal of playing online poker. I try to keep perspective of how much I've won or lost at a table, my current overall bankroll, and see if fatigue or cards not falling my way determine whether I leave or not.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You may be better off playing fast tournaments, turbo or hyper.

Sdub2020

Sdub2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks everyone I think I have to work on being more discipline. I play mostly cash and have set alarms on my phone to leave. But I will ignore them and keep playing sometimes anyway.:eek:

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You need to know yourself, both mind and body. If you're in a good game and playing well, why would you leave? You're just leaving money at the table. Equally, if you know that after 2 or 3 hours your mind begins to wander and you start making mistakes, you have to be disciplined enough to get up and walk away. Try setting an alarm in a different room so that you actually have to walk away from your computer for a few moments.

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make stop list (profit and lose) and alarm at smartphone. For example if time to stop and you have profit , you can check how you are now. If balance is near to stop list +/- you can close session. If not ,you can chose to play or not ,but its will be little bit stop you to grind