Tight is right

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think many people (newbies) read about certain circumstances where the player plays a hand like 45 suited. when newcomers to the game see this , they try to duplicate the above example w/o a plan. There is no doubt in my mind that the very good players are tight at least 75% of the time. and the newbies should be very aware of that .

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I play poker for only 5 months.
I always try to play very carefully, patiently wait for strong cards and use a convenient opportunity. It is important to take into account the position at the table and the game of your opponents.

P

PokerWahoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TAG is certainly a low-variance, newbie-friendly way to make money at low stakes. However, the people who are winning consistently at the highest winrates for a low stakes game are very likely going to be LAG players. If you have an edge against the field, you want to be playing more hands and putting more decisions to your opponents where they can make a mistake

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That may be so but loose agressive preflop players with a cbet on the flop win many more hands on the flop, regardless of their cards.!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is no matter of "tight"! It depends from how the player has read the game. Each game is different with new experients!

D

Danb_1985

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think many people (newbies) read about certain circumstances where the player plays a hand like 45 suited. when newcomers to the game see this , they try to duplicate the above example w/o a plan. There is no doubt in my mind that the very good players are tight at least 75% of the time. and the newbies should be very aware of that .
Definitely the right approach at first unless you have a natural gift for knowin* a situation. I’ve been playin a year and a half and I’m only now starting to confidently open up my range based on different situations

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have to be patience, play slow, and when you have it, go for all.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that beginners need to understand only one thing:
Patience and discipline in combination will allow you to become a successful player.

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing TAG as standard and then slowly mixing it up.
Also with situationing it will become easier.

By time, new people will learn this

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While tight is generally a good thing to do, playing too tight is also not a good thing to do. Then you play nitty and miss out on a lot of potential value spots. Also as you climb stakes, better players will find it easier to see your tight tendencies and exploit them.

flathead

flathead

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing super tight is a great way to learn the game IMO. If you play this way until you have a better understanding of strategies others might be using against you then you can gather a lot of information without losing too much of your bankroll. Once you get more competent you can start to open up a bit and invent and trial your own strategies - that is the fun part!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally stronger hands are easier to be played even by inexperienced players so beginners should always start as TAG players. when you have the learned the basics and you are able to take the maximum from your strong hands you can try to learn some more advanced techniques which will help you to widen your range of playable hands.

Justin Bloomquist

Justin Bloomquist

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I totally agree that new players try and play like the pros and don't know what they are doing LOL!

P

pokerdwarf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing tight is a great way to start learning the game. Top 10 hands in position should be a beneficial way to play. Never all-in unless 100% nutz.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow, this theme for me a few years ago was something important but right now playing tight seems to me an madness .. for example yesterday .. freerolls in ACR cardchat freerroll before bubble, a maniac send me all-in of 6,000 chips againts my 15,000 chips with 10-9s and I know him, then i call with KJos .. well, another badbeat .. I lost the tournament thanks to 5 badbeats in what I had the best hand and I still do not understand why they send that kind of all-in or make that kind of call like JQos against my AQ at bb (another badbeat today btw).. with that kind of players that send everything all-in is a problem to play .. Deciding to play tight becomes very predictable .. when a player has 45 minutes without playing a hand, in case of going all-in, there is a good chance that it will be a premium hand. In conclusion, the loose game is much more profitable in all formats.

Last edited: