Thrift and Moderation

cese1962

cese1962

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started to be more successful in the challenges of Poker, when I changed my behavior with more calm and restrained ways.
It was using parsimony to try to avoid conflict and moderation so as not to abuse excessive spending that reduces the pressure on each challenge with more significant results.

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good for you! I'm glad you're finding success. If you're anything like me: I'm sure you know just how amazing it feels when you finally start to see more significant results. Remember that feeling - it's a good one.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm wondering if you mean thrift in life, or in poker?

I think both kinds could help a player who feels some stress when it comes to poker. If you spend less generally to become less reliant on poker winnings, then there's less stress playing. And if you are "thrifty" in terms of playing lower than your bankroll requires, it's easier to win and cuts down on the stress of a bankroll becoming too low because of a downswing.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started to be more successful in the challenges of Poker, when I changed my behavior with more calm and restrained ways.
It was using parsimony to try to avoid conflict and moderation so as not to abuse excessive spending that reduces the pressure on each challenge with more significant results.

I agree with this 100%

When you start approaching the game as more of an investor than a gambler things tend to work out better. It's easy to be more selective with your hands and to ensure you only get involved in spots that show a positive expectation.

For me it was important to learn about starting hands, and how to adjust my range of hands for continuing based on my opponents bet size (small, medium or large). That knowledge and understanding combined with a desire to actually make money long run rather than just play for fun were what really helped me become successful in Cash Games.

cese1962

cese1962

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to thank everyone who is responding.
These are very constructive responses.
Thanks.