martinlgs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Three of a kind on the flop

How many times have you been eliminated by an opponent who has hit a low or medium three of a kind on the flop (pair in hand), usually because one has 2 pairs, or the high pair, or monster project ..?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

How many times have you been eliminated by an opponent who has hit a low or medium three of a kind on the flop (pair in hand), usually because one has 2 pairs, or the high pair, or monster project ..?

Thank you for posting

Sets are really difficult to not lose to on certain board runouts so yes we all lose to those.

As a less experienced player we often stack off versus sets incorrectly as we are not as good at range reading as we need to be. So working on range reading is a key to be able to fold top pair -over pairs and even 2 pair hands versus sets. Even so we will still lose some hands when we feel our V have pair plus draw shoves and even bluffs as well as the sets and a call becomes mathematically correct.

Hope this helps
:):)

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seth is always hard to read. Therefore, there are so many losses when the opponent gets a set.

J

Jadeyt92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah hard to predict a set especially if player is holding a pair

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't count such cases. I think many times.

Fivefor

Fivefor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

OK, so you are just asking about the specific situation of being eliminated in a tournament when your opponent flops a set? For me this has happened exactly 11 times but I suspect it will happen again...

Also, just curious, but what is a "monster project"?

;-)

E

EvandroGatti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The frequency is not so great to worry too much about it.
But when it happens it sucks big time specially with 2 pairs.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It happens, and you can understand it from the betting the opponent is making, which will be higher!

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose, easy enough to fold top pair but not as easy to fold two pair.
Even with that said don't be afraid of the rare hidden hand that your opponent may have because then you will often find yourself playing to tight.

kirkham69er

kirkham69er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time i have ever lost to a ''monster project'' was in a game of strip poker! And he almost took me eye out in the process.....

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm usually on the other side of that equation, private games, low to med pairs, manage to limp in or get in for not much (min raise to 3BB only) so it's worth a shot.

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A good card to get your opponent's pieces:cool::cool:

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I don't count because those things happen. Sometimes, we bust against a set and that is okay. It is a numbers game and sometimes we are just on the bad end of it. We should remember how infrequently a set is flopped - the times it doesn't come up means our pair or two pair might be ahead. Even if we are behind a set, we can still outdraw them occasionally. This is why some tighter opponents may bet bigger (or even shove if stack sizes are right for it), it is because they realize that even a set is vulnerable to draws getting there.

Seth is always hard to read. Therefore, there are so many losses when the opponent gets a set.

We should all strive to be as tough to read as Seth jk. Obviously, this is a typo and you meant "Set."

Yes, a set is tough to read. A set is also valuable from the perspective of the play with it because of possible hand combinations it blocks. If we have trips, then we might sometimes lose the unlucky spot of facing an opponent with the same three of a kind, but a stronger kicker than ours. However, holding a set, you know that no one has the same hole cards as you. If we have two of the four cards in the deck, and one on the board (set), then there is only one last card "out there" so no one can have two in their hand for the same set!

Say we hold KdKh on the flop of:

Qd 9s Kc

then we not only have top set (three Kings), but an opponent can't also have pocket Kings. We only have the King of Spades unaccounted for. Clubs is among the community cards and we hold the one in diamonds and hearts.

Not only is a set difficult to predict, but it also holds value in holding because we know we won't ever lose to the same three of a kind with a better kicker :)

Yeah hard to predict a set especially if player is holding a pair

Especially? Always lol. A set, by definition, means you are holding a pair (and connects with one among the community cards). When you have two among the community cards and you connect with one of your hole cards for three of a kind, then that is called "trips."

Example for "Set of Aces": Ac As with Flop of Ah 9c 6d

Example for "Trip Aces": Ah 9c with Flop of Ac As 5h

I didn't count such cases. I think many times.

Agreed. It happens infrequently, but when you play enough poker, then you just stop counting because it happens a lot in large sample sizes. Still unlikely, but it is not an anomaly that never occurs.

J

Jadeyt92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't count because those things happen. Sometimes, we bust against a set and that is okay. It is a numbers game and sometimes we are just on the bad end of it. We should remember how infrequently a set is flopped - the times it doesn't come up means our pair or two pair might be ahead. Even if we are behind a set, we can still outdraw them occasionally. This is why some tighter opponents may bet bigger (or even shove if stack sizes are right for it), it is because they realize that even a set is vulnerable to draws getting there.

We should all strive to be as tough to read as Seth jk. Obviously, this is a typo and you meant "Set."

Yes, a set is tough to read. A set is also valuable from the perspective of the play with it because of possible hand combinations it blocks. If we have trips, then we might sometimes lose the unlucky spot of facing an opponent with the same three of a kind, but a stronger kicker than ours. However, holding a set, you know that no one has the same hole cards as you. If we have two of the four cards in the deck, and one on the board (set), then there is only one last card "out there" so no one can have two in their hand for the same set!

Say we hold KdKh on the flop of:

Qd 9s Kc

then we not only have top set (three Kings), but an opponent can't also have pocket Kings. We only have the King of Spades unaccounted for. Clubs is among the community cards and we hold the one in diamonds and hearts.

Not only is a set difficult to predict, but it also holds value in holding because we know we won't ever lose to the same three of a kind with a better kicker :)

Especially? Always lol. A set, by definition, means you are holding a pair (and connects with one among the community cards). When you have two among the community cards and you connect with one of your hole cards for three of a kind, then that is called "trips."

Example for "Set of Aces": Ac As with Flop of Ah 9c 6d

Example for "Trip Aces": Ah 9c with Flop of Ac As 5h

Agreed. It happens infrequently, but when you play enough poker, then you just stop counting because it happens a lot in large sample sizes. Still unlikely, but it is not an anomaly that never occurs.

You learn something everyday. I always assumed trips, set, 3 of a kind to be any 3 cards regardless of where the cards are. Many thanks

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:) Glad to help. Yup, always keep learning :)

Iddm

Iddm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yesterday I got bad beaten with a Set (Three kings).
I had KK the guy had K3 the flop came 2k5
I went all in the guys called
River and turn A and 4
My kk vs k3 table 2k5A4

How bad was this beat? My 96% aganist his 4% in the flop.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It's pretty rare that I don't feel like I have the nuts when I flop a set

I have occasionally been able to fold bottom set without getting stacked when my opponent held a larger set (but I still committed quite a few chips to gather the information).

The most glorious pot I've seen though was when my friend took a shot at a 10/20NL game and won Set over Set over Set for a $6k pot :)

Easy game when the cards are on your side :icon_bigs

martinlgs

martinlgs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Yesterday I got bad beaten with a Set (Three kings).
I had KK the guy had K3 the flop came 2k5
I went all in the guys called
River and turn A and 4
My kk vs k3 table 2k5A4

How bad was this beat? My 96% aganist his 4% in the flop.
painfully cruel:D:D:D:D

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea that happens a lot but you can prevent from losing too much with playing in position. for example if you play in BTN and another player floped a set against you, you can make your decisions with more information so you fold to many over bets

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything always depends on the player's playing hands.From his experience of the game in general.Naturally, if you play for a long time, then the situations about which you ask the question have happened quite a lot of times.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Good afternoon, friend, this has happened to me a few times, and I happened to have jacks and the villain has straght flush there, it is very bad.

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]