Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for reminding me of another -

Your leak is just about always a direct connection to the way you think. Your pre-suppositions, your paradigms. Sometimes this is passed on to you - whether given erroneous information from Wikipedia or misinterpreting what has been handed down or just making it up based on wishes and dreams.

Extremely well-said.

The nuts is a hand that is unbeatable - period. To consider you have the nuts for the time being is a suicidal tendency that will lose money. You will drop your guard and get your ass handed to you.
When you have the best hand for the time being that is referred to as "having the best hand for the time being".

Right now I believe people are arguing about the difference between a definition and a colloquialism. The "nut hand," is by definition a hand that cannot be beaten. Therefore no preflop hand can be a nut hand. The colloquialism for it though treats it more as an extreme favorite, such as AA vs. 27o preflop, or AA vs. KK on a T82r flop.

There's a difference between being a huge favorite and having the nuts. That being said, the phrase "you've basically got the nuts" is thrown around all the time, situationally-based, to describe times when you have to value bet like crazy because you are an enormous favorite over someone's range. JMHO.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed - and it is a HUGE dis-service to those trying to learn or get better at the game. To look and down and see AA and think you have the nuts is the kind of thinking that will cost you money. It's that kind of thinking that explains why someone is still in a hand at showdown when every other factor on every other street was screaming you are beat. "But I had AA, how could I fold?"

Extremely well-said.

Right now I believe people are arguing about the difference between a definition and a colloquialism. The "nut hand," is by definition a hand that cannot be beaten. Therefore no preflop hand can be a nut hand. The colloquialism for it though treats it more as an extreme favorite, such as AA vs. 27o, or AA vs. KK on a T82r flop.

There's a difference between being a huge favorite and having the nuts. That being said, the phrase "you've basically got the nuts" is thrown around all the time, situationally-based, to describe times when you have to value bet like crazy because you are an enormous favorite over someone's range. JMHO.

Last edited:
alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Your leak is just about always a direct connection to the way you think. Your pre-suppositions, your paradigms. Sometimes this is passed on to you - whether given erroneous information from Wikipedia or misinterpreting what has been handed down or just making it up based on wishes and dreams.

The nuts is a hand that is unbeatable - period. To consider you have the nuts for the time being is a suicidal tendency that will lose money. You will drop your guard and get your ass handed to you.
When you have the best hand for the time being that is referred to as "having the best hand for the time being".

All of this. I was going to let it drop since its your thread but I'm glad you nailed this. The wrong definition of the term "nuts" was being used by Aldito (no offense) and it does matter for the reasons MB put out in his next post.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good thread and congrats...

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All of this. I was going to let it drop since its your thread but I'm glad you nailed this. The wrong definition of the term "nuts" was being used by Aldito (no offense) and it does matter for the reasons MB put out in his next post.

Sorry but I don't see how AA is not the nuts preflop.

Take the example of TT vs JQ on T98.

JQ is the nuts, the best possible hand vs any other possible hand. It does not mean you have 100% equity in the pot.

Similary preflop AA is the best possible hand; i.e. no other hand can possibly have more equity. Sure it's not 100% but it is still the absolute best hand possible at the time.

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

OK, so I've just re-read this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you are implying that AKo on JQTr is not the nuts?

I believe the term for a hand that can not be outdrawn on later is streets is the "absolute nuts", no?

Agreed - and it is a HUGE dis-service to those trying to learn or get better at the game. To look and down and see AA and think you have the nuts is the kind of thinking that will cost you money. It's that kind of thinking that explains why someone is still in a hand at showdown when every other factor on every other street was screaming you are beat. "But I had AA, how could I fold?"

And if you are implying that I think AA is always the nuts at any stage in any hand then you are completely wrong...

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Love the limping part, ooo check me being sneaky limping UTG! lmao, funny coz its true

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats on tha 1000th post 'Blitz... You da man... But then of course you already knew dat... lol... Now let me actually go back and read from the beginning...:eek: Had to get the congrats out the way first, 'cause I already know you always got some good stuff to say...:D

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep... just got through reading and just as I thought... well written stuff...
"When you have the best hand for the time being that is referred to as "having the best hand for the time being".
Excellent point to be thumb-tacked to a person's wall & memorized, as well as the story about why one should never limp...

smerald

smerald

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great post! thanks for sharing your wisdom, I especially enjoy "Big hand, big pot – small hand, small pot. Don’t escalate betting with mediocre holdings." That is so true and is very helpful to remember. Also congratulations on number 1,000!!

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Congrats on your 1K post MB, great post.