Thoughts on shoving preflop

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thoughts on shoving preflop? I honestly find it sometimes extremely annoying, especially in the beginning of a tournament, because it’s mostly based on luck, even if you have the best hand, a weak hand also has a high chance of winning.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it can be somewhat annoying to face because it forces us to invest huge portions of our stack to play back at them - even if we are favored. At least it makes my decision fairly easy most of the time though...fold. Say we are 100 big blinds deep and someone shoves All-in right away. Everyone folds. Okay fine. They "successfully" picked up the one big blind and one small blind (antes usually aren't in play until way further into an event if at all). That is it! They risked their entire stack for this miniscule amount. The rare time someone catches a hand to play back with like AA, then the frequent All-in Shover is likely to lose their small wins and much more in that one hand.

When they keep shoving, I tend to fold a lot; we can afford to do so. In theory, we should be widening our calling range against a maniac who might hold any two cards, but I don't personally want to be flipping (or even a slight favorite) against any player this early.

Is shoving a ton early on a good strategy? Not even close! Is it the worst strategy? Surprisingly, no it isn't. At least they recognize the power of aggression (even if misused and disproportionate to their risk). This is a tougher play-style than a Tight-Passive fish. Luckily for us, their shoving is fairly easy to counter...we just have to sit back and not let the constant shoving bother us. They "win" more than they should because people get impatient at their constant All-ins and then call them down too wide.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thoughts on shoving preflop? I honestly find it sometimes extremely annoying, especially in the beginning of a tournament, because it’s mostly based on luck, even if you have the best hand, a weak hand also has a high chance of winning.
It is same question as if you get AA in the very beginning of game, next raise and see low notcoordinated flop. Villain move first and go all-in. You move?
On my mind, if you get top hand preflop you must call any shove - from pro or from fish or from maniac.

Waleswasp

Waleswasp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last night’s PS freeroll, 10 mins in and I get AA. I raise, get re-raised by “villain” and one other. I re-raise, “villain” shoves, other folds and I call. “Villain” shows AcQc, flop comes QQx followed by xx. I’m out despite having a dominant hand. I would play the same way again and hope that variance would be in my favour next time.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Best avoided with less than the nuts during early stages.

Shove-monkeying all-in pre and seeing what runs out is far from skillful poker if you ask me...

While it's annoying when you find yourself on a table where it seems like every hand someone is punting pre, don't get frustrated, keep the faith, wait for the occasional cheap flops and (if you feel you've got a good read on the player) dance with them holding things like AA, KK, QQ & AK.

This should serve you relatively well in those types of situations.

The addage 'you can't win tournaments in the early stages, only lose them.' applies.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it annoying as well when you have someone who is shoving every hand at the beginning of a tourney hoping for an early double up.

For those that do it with a good hand, unless I know I have someone at the table that is highly likely to call my dominant hand, I find that I get called way too few times to make this a better play then actually playing each street.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Shoving pre flop has it's "special times" such as nearing the final table and the bubble. It may be a useful tool for brave souls. Personally, it is not a good idea. It is a quick out.