Which of these factors is most important when choosing a preflop open raise size in?

P

PEGAMEUALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(Assume 50bb deep with before).

1. Your position.

2. The player's tendencies in the big blind.

3. Your hand
?

Last edited by a moderator:
hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All of these are important mix it up bet different amounts preflop for the same hands you hold to make it harder for your opponents to read you.
Edited title from all caps to normal font for you https://www.cardschat.com/faq.php.:)
  • Do not post in all CAPS.

Last edited:
greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all are important but for me the first and third are fundamental since it allows you to know the size of your raise

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I either start using the one and only raise size (usually 3bb) or mix a lot from everywhere with whatever hand you hold. Both prevent opponents from making a good read.

I usually chose one of those and stick to it through the most part of a tournament I play at.

W

WJMKAM

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The other players tendencies can be very important here. Generally mix it up.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
yeah. My position is most important when deciding to be in a hand and how much to raise.

After that, my stack size could determine my play.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
(Assume 50bb deep with before).

1. Your position.

2. The player's tendencies in the big blind.

3. Your hand
?

My choice of the three is number 2 - tendencies of the big blind. Position is somewhat important too, but I'm not going to alter raise size by position usually; yes, I'll adjust my range for each seat/situation, but effective stack plays a bigger role for me. At 50 bbs deep, it is big blind tendencies for me :cool:

p.s. Worst of the options is 3. Your Hand. You'll be very predictable to play against if you change your raise size for hand strength!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important factor for me is the depth of my stack and the effective stack.

+1 Agreed - my own stack size and effective stacks are critically important to me. It is tough to find anything more valuable for deciding open raise size I think (perhaps there are some more valuable things for meta-game factors like psychology or tournament ICM pressure, but taking a hand in a vacuum (no reads), stack size and effective stack are the most important.