Teach me Poker. . .

ThinkDiffrent

ThinkDiffrent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot odds, equity, table position, Hand range. . . I need to learn. where do you begin. I have a simple understanding of it. but it's not organized in my head. how do you approach the game.. how can you play aggressively and still work with pot odds and equity. why is it important to fold if your not getting the right odds.. even though your opponent might be bluffing with nothing it's all so confusing

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cardschat offers a Pot Odds Calculator here on the site. It's up top titles "Odds Calculator". Play around with that for a while, input hands that you have been in and you can see your hands equity on any given street. Implied odds are also important. Implied odds deal with stack sizes and if you believe you will be paid off if you hit your card. I think the most important tool to start with is pre-flop ranges and post-flop strategy. You can find tons of resources online regarding ranges, and this will also help you to put your opponent on a range when playing. Tight is right for beginners. Setting up a TAG(tight-aggressive) image will help you later in stages of tournaments as well for stealing the blinds. Once opponents see you at showdown with a strong hand, they will take note, and respect your raises and shoves.

Post-flop strategy is something you need to study now! Don't wait until you are in a game to develop it, you need to know what you are going to do in specific situations before they happen. Are you going to c-bet AK in a 3bet pot when you have missed the flop? Checking back flops with monster hands can also deter your opponents..you always want to keep them guessing. If they can;t put you on a specific hand or range, you are in a great spot to steal the pot(or win a big one if you have the nuts).

Position is important but do not overthink it. If you are deep-stacked, position becomes even less important, because you have the chips to open up QJs UTG and call a 3bet, something I wouldn't recommend doing unless you are deep-stacked. The Button and the Blinds can be the hardest to master. Players are defending wide as ever in the big blind now, so raising 2.5-3x the big blind with a strong hand is smart, as you are now giving the big blind bad odds to call.

Odds and equity all tie in with hand ranges. Putting your opponent on a range is so important, I cannot stress this enough. If you can put your opponent on a specific range, you can figure your odds and equity. If you cannot, you are most likely just check-calling with a weak top or middle pair, or hoping to hit your flush draw on the river. This makes you exploitable, and basically turns your cards face up. Opponents will know you either have a weak pair or a draw, and will make you pay to see the next cards, usually giving you bad odds. Master the art of delayed c-bets when you flop a monster(set, top two). This also gives your opponent the chance to bluff. Mixing up a check-raise on draw-heavy boards(flopping top two on a flush and straight draw board: Ac Qh 8c and you hold AQ. You want to make your opponent pay. You want him to call with draws. Remember this when you are betting with strong hands. The goal isn't to scare your opponent away, it's to get paid. Mix in some check-raises when you are out-of-position and you flop a strong draw(straight and flush draw) but might be at the bottom of your range: 2h Kh 3c and you hold 4h5h. If your opponent has a king, he is calling, and you can get paid when you hit your card. If he doesnt, you can win the pot right there with 5 high.

Poker is a very intricate game. I haven't even covered the tip of the iceberg with what I've posted. My advice is to look up pre-flop range charts immediately, and get very familiar with them. Play tight until you develop an image or a specific play style that you like. Then, develop a post-flop strategy. What is your plan when you miss the flop after 3betting your opponent? This is why ranges are so important. Once you start to learn ranges, you can then put your opponent on one. If you can narrow down your opponent's range to a few holdings, or even his exact holding, you can print money. 3-betting is also a very important aspect of the game. If you're unfamiliar with it, start by only 3-betting the top of your range. (AA, KK, QQ, AKs). This will make the post-flop decisions easier for you. By the way, a 3-bet is a re-raise over a RFI(raise-first-in). For example, the player UTG raises 2.5x the big blind. Action folds to you. You are on the button with KK. If you are just calling here you are losing money. There are times when just calling can be profitable(to mix up your play, or when a short-stack is behind). But generally you want to always be 3-betting your strong hands. A good sizing would be 3-4x the initial raise. Say blinds are 100/200. Inital raiser raised to 500. A good 3bet size would be anywhere from 1500-2000. You can raise on the bigger side if you know your opponent to be loose and/or a calling station. You will make even more this way.

ThinkDiffrent

ThinkDiffrent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cardschat offers a Pot Odds Calculator here on the site. It's up top titles "Odds Calculator". Play around with that for a while, input hands that you have been in and you can see your hands equity on any given street. Implied odds are also important. Implied odds deal with stack sizes and if you believe you will be paid off if you hit your card. I think the most important tool to start with is pre-flop ranges and post-flop strategy. You can find tons of resources online regarding ranges, and this will also help you to put your opponent on a range when playing. Tight is right for beginners. Setting up a TAG(tight-aggressive) image will help you later in stages of tournaments as well for stealing the blinds. Once opponents see you at showdown with a strong hand, they will take note, and respect your raises and shoves.

Post-flop strategy is something you need to study now! Don't wait until you are in a game to develop it, you need to know what you are going to do in specific situations before they happen. Are you going to c-bet AK in a 3bet pot when you have missed the flop? Checking back flops with monster hands can also deter your opponents..you always want to keep them guessing. If they can;t put you on a specific hand or range, you are in a great spot to steal the pot(or win a big one if you have the nuts).

Position is important but do not overthink it. If you are deep-stacked, position becomes even less important, because you have the chips to open up QJs UTG and call a 3bet, something I wouldn't recommend doing unless you are deep-stacked. The Button and the Blinds can be the hardest to master. Players are defending wide as ever in the big blind now, so raising 2.5-3x the big blind with a strong hand is smart, as you are now giving the big blind bad odds to call.

Odds and equity all tie in with hand ranges. Putting your opponent on a range is so important, I cannot stress this enough. If you can put your opponent on a specific range, you can figure your odds and equity. If you cannot, you are most likely just check-calling with a weak top or middle pair, or hoping to hit your flush draw on the river. This makes you exploitable, and basically turns your cards face up. Opponents will know you either have a weak pair or a draw, and will make you pay to see the next cards, usually giving you bad odds. Master the art of delayed c-bets when you flop a monster(set, top two). This also gives your opponent the chance to bluff. Mixing up a check-raise on draw-heavy boards(flopping top two on a flush and straight draw board: Ac Qh 8c and you hold AQ. You want to make your opponent pay. You want him to call with draws. Remember this when you are betting with strong hands. The goal isn't to scare your opponent away, it's to get paid. Mix in some check-raises when you are out-of-position and you flop a strong draw(straight and flush draw) but might be at the bottom of your range: 2h Kh 3c and you hold 4h5h. If your opponent has a king, he is calling, and you can get paid when you hit your card. If he doesnt, you can win the pot right there with 5 high.

Poker is a very intricate game. I haven't even covered the tip of the iceberg with what I've posted. My advice is to look up pre-flop range charts immediately, and get very familiar with them. Play tight until you develop an image or a specific play style that you like. Then, develop a post-flop strategy. What is your plan when you miss the flop after 3betting your opponent? This is why ranges are so important. Once you start to learn ranges, you can then put your opponent on one. If you can narrow down your opponent's range to a few holdings, or even his exact holding, you can print money. 3-betting is also a very important aspect of the game. If you're unfamiliar with it, start by only 3-betting the top of your range. (AA, KK, QQ, AKs). This will make the post-flop decisions easier for you. By the way, a 3-bet is a re-raise over a RFI(raise-first-in). For example, the player UTG raises 2.5x the big blind. Action folds to you. You are on the button with KK. If you are just calling here you are losing money. There are times when just calling can be profitable(to mix up your play, or when a short-stack is behind). But generally you want to always be 3-betting your strong hands. A good sizing would be 3-4x the initial raise. Say blinds are 100/200. Inital raiser raised to 500. A good 3bet size would be anywhere from 1500-2000. You can raise on the bigger side if you know your opponent to be loose and/or a calling station. You will make even more this way.
thankyou for taking the time to write that ! I've just learned pot odds and equity but am struggling to apply it in my game and how it applys if you want to bet.. a lot to learn but thankyou