Talent

H

helenag

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you guys read about poker to get better at it? Or do you find that practice makes perfect?

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you guys read about poker to get better at it? Or do you find that practice makes perfect?
Poker, like any sport, needs mandatory training! Otherwise, you will not be able to show a good result!

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think research on any subject you want to get better at is a must. You don't have to implement all you've learned, but it is usually helpful to find things you like or that work for you and adapt them to your style of play. I don't believe that there is any one right or wrong way to play. There are tons of different play styles. Find something you like that makes sense to you and run with it. Adapt, adjust rinse and repeat. Just like with anything the more you do it the better you become.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that practice is more important than theory. In my opinion, books can give you only basic knowledge, and practice will allow you to gain valuable experience and skills.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can add that training, analysis of your game, analysis of hands with others will help you as a player in development.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is probably both. Resources and information learned is useful, but then practice/experience implementing it is what makes you improve. It has worked for me so far, but don't ask me: I'm basically a poker newbie myself :D

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to say, I completely agree to what Phoenix says. I wanted to add the fact that I've found a lot of success in watching professional twitch streamers play online MTT's. You get to see the exact scenarios they're put in, and how they deal with their hand given the scenario. I think it's really helpful to get a decent understanding of more difficult hands, but may not be the best tool for someone who lacks basic knowledge of the game because they seldom go into depth on why they're calling / folding / jamming/ etc.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if it's read, you aren't supposed to believe blindly.

You have to check it in the actual fighting.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more poker u play, the more skill u learn.

But luck is more important than theory.