Suited connectors

Lespaul_Lover

Lespaul_Lover

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I know this is a pretty basic question, but I have found myself wondering what to do when a 78s or a 910s shows up. Any general tips out there? Things like when to play suited connectors, how much to be prefolp and river and if it is smart to bluff. Thank you for your input.

E

EddieTorr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When to play suited connectors

For me, it's largely a question of position. In SB, BB and button, I will play if there is no big bets coming at me. Usually not in early position, unless it's also a big hand, QJ or higher.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually call if no one raises but i dnt play them out of position i dnt raise preflop.
So just call if less people enter the flop and if you are in position

S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are too many variables here. Cash or tournament? How deep are the stacks in cash game and what is your stack. It must be profitable if you hit right? What are the blinds in a tournament? What are the stack sizes? What position are you? How is the table playing; are they loose or nits?

There is no general rule here. Ideally if you can see a cheap flop with deep stacks then absolutely. Just don't feel bad about tossing them in a questionable spot.

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good basic approach is to play suited connectors from late position (Button or cut-off). Your ideal scenario is a multi-way pot where early players only limped/called or you had one raiser followed by another caller or two. In either case, you're getting good enough odds to see a flop. At the flop, you see the beauty of suited connectors - either you miss completely and can throw away the hand. Or, you connect and can be in a position to win a big pot. Note that suited one-gap cards have similar appeal.

As mentioned, there are many variable, but the above is a good starting point. Also note that if you are in late position and everyone has folded to you, you should open raise with them.

Lespaul_Lover

Lespaul_Lover

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome input everyone, thanks so much. I'll definitely remember that Blue Fossil

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know the phrase " AA wins small pots but loses big ones "? Well suited connectors is the hand that cracks those big pairs most of the time. Its a hand that allways has a goal of stacking your opponent. So when you enter the pot you have your eyes on your opponents stack.
When should you play them ?
On micros you should always play them in position. On a tight passive table you can open from MP cause you know your opponent is going to call with overcards overpairs- hands that you can stack if you both connect. But before you enter the pot take a look at your opponent stack. If its under 50bb you shouldnt call cause your not getting enough implied odds to call even if you stack him.
If a tight player opens from UTG i might consider a call IP if there are no aggresive squeezers behind me.
In multiway pots when you are getting immediate odds as well as implied odds you should call.
The goal is to enter the pot cheaply and becouse there are easy to play post flop you can manage your actions from that point on.

fearfizz

fearfizz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play this haand only in few postions,and if you have open hand i usally rasie because there will always posibillty to take a large pot or taake it anyway if everyone folds.

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The numbers regarding suited connectors are ones that I've never really given myself much of a chance to dive into. I do have a lot of questions about them. Like what odds do you have of actually getting a straight or flush draw to work with? Does that probability become effectively the same as you go toward the middle of the deck say with 78s and 89s? I'd think there's some kind of table somewhere, can anyone find a link?

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The numbers regarding suited connectors are ones that I've never really given myself much of a chance to dive into. I do have a lot of questions about them. Like what odds do you have of actually getting a straight or flush draw to work with? Does that probability become effectively the same as you go toward the middle of the deck say with 78s and 89s? I'd think there's some kind of table somewhere, can anyone find a link?

Poker Bank has some really nice stuff, you should check it out. It helped me a lot with upgrading the level of thinking, planing the hand from the start, what to play, when to play etc...

M

MASURON2KE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know the phrase " AA wins small pots but loses big ones "? Well suited connectors is the hand that cracks those big pairs most of the time. Its a hand that allways has a goal of stacking your opponent. So when you enter the pot you have your eyes on your opponents stack.
When should you play them ?
On micros you should always play them in position. On a tight passive table you can open from MP cause you know your opponent is going to call with overcards overpairs- hands that you can stack if you both connect. But before you enter the pot take a look at your opponent stack. If its under 50bb you shouldnt call cause your not getting enough implied odds to call even if you stack him.
If a tight player opens from UTG i might consider a call IP if there are no aggresive squeezers behind me.
In multiway pots when you are getting immediate odds as well as implied odds you should call.
The goal is to enter the pot cheaply and becouse there are easy to play post flop you can manage your actions from that point on.

thats the way should be play it !!!