Studying ranges?

M

muckem97

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys!

Reading a book and came across putting your opponent on a "Range of hands" I completely understand what it means. However everytime I try to use it in my game I'm literally a deer in headlights. Clueless you can say. Lol. How did you guys first practice learning and practicing ranges? Thank you.

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would spend some time observing a cash table or tournament if you prefer. just watch the hands for ten minutes or so to get a feel of it then start guessing cards. their betting patterns to help you figure out what they have and see if you're right. it's not a perfect system but it's better than having money on the table when you do it. then anytime you're playing for actual money or a freeroll, do the same thing on hands you're not in.

M

muckem97

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you guys. I will definitely be using both methods.

magnumite

magnumite

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Using a HUD such as pokertracker is extremely helpful too. It shows you the VPIP (how often they voluntarily put money in the pot before the flop). This can give you a good idea of the percentage range of hands they’re playing, ie. if their VPIP is 10% or 15% they’re very tight and probably only playing hands like AJo+ A9s+, 77+. From there, use their mannerisms (like bet size, how long it takes them to make a decision) to try and narrow down the strength of their hand in relation the the board.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, you need to understand range of positions, and then yes you go to give the cards (suppose) that they will have, when you give the hands to the opponents it is easier to interpret the move, clear example if you open with a raise in the UTG, the Button can theoretically only give you 4bet with the top of the range AA, KK, QQ, AKs, so you put him in range X, okay, when you pay and go to the Flop, you need to interpret the board, whether it's in his range or yours. and so on. It is not easy, this requires dedication is constant study.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Understanding hand ranges can be a great help and useful to influence your decision making. Start with putting players on "preflop ranges" and then you can work on adjusting your hand range reads based on individual player reactions and such. For example, most any tight player raising 3x UTG is probably playing a very premium hand - TT or better - a REALLY nit player may only be playing JJ or better here, and no less than AQ. Then on the other hand a fairly loose player on the button can literally have almost any 2, very difficult to range unless you know their betting patterns.

phantomjiujitsu

phantomjiujitsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flopzilla is the best of the best tool for learning and studying ranges/frequency. I like to pair it up with equilab and range manager. These tools are amazing when diving into ranges and frequency.

Honeybuns666

Honeybuns666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've actually been watching twitch and it really has helped me with ranges.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best advise is to make your own preflop ranges. And once you understand nit ranges,tag ranges,lag ranges,fish ranges you can then put people on a range of hands given the player type within reason.

Let's say i raise UTG and a nit flats me from MP , Now i can assume a nit 3bets KK+ A5s-A2s and flats QQ-77,AJs+,KQs,AQo+

They might have some combos of AK QQ JJ in the 3bet range so now i know a basic range i'm vs. From there i can narrow that range postflop on different board textures given the postflop action.

Flatting ranges change from each position and differ from each player type.So it's understanding positional ranges and player types.The most important thing i found in understanding ranges was understanding my own ranges first and foremost.If i don't know what i flat pre from each position, how on earth can i determine what other people flat with.

Last edited:
PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flopzilla is the best of the best tool for learning and studying ranges/frequency. I like to pair it up with equilab and range manager. These tools are amazing when diving into ranges and frequency.

Both very good tools , and also combonator for working on defense frequencies.

https://combonator.com/