Study to play ratio

SillentHunterZ

SillentHunterZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As the title says, how to split time? I would like to learn poker on a deeper level. I can spare 3-4 hours daily and for the weekends i am free, this will be my routine for the next 4 months.

N

nwhitney118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I listened to the Red Chip Poker podcast and they had this question, I think the general agreement was a beginner should play:study on a 1:1 ratio, an intermediate on more of a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio, and semi pros and pros back to a 1:1 ratio. If you have about 4 hours daily I'd suggest play a day, then study the next day and repeat so you can really get stuck in to whichever you do.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As a beginner I too would suggest more play... and for studying I'd honestly try reading a couple of books (& 'guides') to gain a decent foundation in which to work from. Something I see a lot of these days online is newer players attempting to adopt concepts & play style that is way over their heads.... while still hardly able to villain on ranges etc.

Reason I am suggesting this is just from some hands I've seen you playing.
ie. Limping AJs in UTG while stacks are ~100bb deep.
Limp/Calling with any two suited cards while OOP ie. Limp/Calling a 4x raise vs. 40bb effective stacks
Limping too often
Playing too many hands (VPIP of 56% is not recommended for a full ring table)

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
80% practice and 20% theory.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the title says, how to split time? I would like to learn poker on a deeper level. I can spare 3-4 hours daily and for the weekends i am free, this will be my routine for the next 4 months.

I try to play for 7-8 hours, analysis and work on errors for 2 hours, reviewing useful videos for as long as I can, until my brain turns off.:burnout:

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've always found extreme study requirements such as 1:1 to be unrealistic. Possibly there are some players who study this often, but I can tell you from working with a large number of players over the years that if your ratio is 6:1 (in favor of playing), then you're studying significantly more than the average reg.

Don't get me wrong -- if it motivates you, then more study is great! But just make sure that you're putting in at least some study for every session you play even if it's a 3-hour session and then 20 mins spent reviewing a few key hands from it.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I as did, 3 hours theory and 1 hour practice...

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play poker whenever possible when I have free time. Unfortunately, it is difficult for me to plan any schedule, but nevertheless I play at least 3 days a week.

D

damas13251

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
few days of study and day of practice

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being a beginner, I study about four times as much as I play real money.

I take a lot of notes and try my best not to skim over the more tricky concepts and try to utilize them playing with play money first, then real money when I'm feeling confident and focussed.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually play for 3 hours and analyze my game for 1 hour