Struggling in Microstakes

S

SkilsToPayBils

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

I'm a novice but I'm really keen to learn. I study for at least two hours a day and try to play at least two more. I mostly play cash games because I'd like to build a bankroll, but will occasionally play the odd bounty builder tournament.

I'm really struggling to build anything in microstakes (1c/2c), but I think I'm playing fairly solidly (probably a contradiction). In fact, so far I've lost a total of $47 in my short poker career.

I'd like some really honest advice from the more experienced players. I'm really interested to know how much you lost before you started turning a profit.

Here are my stats, and I understand this isn't a large data set, which makes my loses concerning.

1751 hands played and saw flop:
- 97 times out of 300 while in small blind (32%)
- 125 times out of 303 while in big blind (41%)
- 296 times out of 1148 in other positions (26%)
- a total of 518 times out of 1751 (30%)

Pots won at showdown - 85 out of 192 (44%)
Pots won without showdown - 376

Any help is greatly appreciated.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

I'm a novice but I'm really keen to learn. I study for at least two hours a day and try to play at least two more. I mostly play cash games because I'd like to build a bankroll, but will occasionally play the odd bounty builder tournament.

I'm really struggling to build anything in microstakes (1c/2c), but I think I'm playing fairly solidly (probably a contradiction). In fact, so far I've lost a total of $47 in my short poker career.

I'd like some really honest advice from the more experienced players. I'm really interested to know how much you lost before you started turning a profit.

Here are my stats, and I understand this isn't a large data set, which makes my loses concerning.

1751 hands played and saw flop:
- 97 times out of 300 while in small blind (32%)
- 125 times out of 303 while in big blind (41%)
- 296 times out of 1148 in other positions (26%)
- a total of 518 times out of 1751 (30%)

Pots won at showdown - 85 out of 192 (44%)
Pots won without showdown - 376

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.
What I can tell you is something you already know - do you want something? battle.
You can also never be profitable as you want, so accept that - but you too can be deceived for years without gaining any expression and on a beautiful day things start to happen. This game is very complex, so take advantage of the chances that appear.
So I suggest you fight for what you want, but know that it can happen or not, so have fun. Good luck.

fhruhrhit

fhruhrhit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you know snowie(AI coaching software)?
this software is so good.

Ian the Fish

Ian the Fish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
List of recommendations

Here's a list of recommendations that I can give you. I used to play much more than I am playing right now, but take what you want from this:

1) Get a Heads-Up Display (HUD) - Holdem Manager / PokerTracker / DriveHUD - any of those will do just fine. These are crucial, if you want to keep your opponents stats tracked, be able to analyze your and your opponents' play, as well as have a solid database w.r.t. how you are doing at the tables at different stakes from different positions.

2) Use this community. Get someone whom you can talk to and discuss the hands with. This is a massive learning tool, as it will get your head into the game on much deeper levels. Play, analyze, discuss, repeat.

3) Play as much as you can. But stick to one software. Trust me - there are plenty of fish everywhere, and since we are talking about micro-stakes, NO good players are playing there. Literally none. There is a reason why. Granted, some are better than you and some are worse, which leads to my next point.

4) Use your collected stats and notes (on players) to table select. Look for players who are clearly making mistakes. Remember, you are looking to make money here, not to prove that you are the best and can win against the best - that is just ridiculous (especially at micro stakes haha). So look for the best games possible.

5) Study the game. Whatever works the best for you: videos, books, e-books, podcasts - whatever. As you study, you will build a strong foundation. And in micro stakes, if you have a strong foundation, you will be a winning player in no time. :) Good luck!

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It will be hard to try to make some bank in this way. Even free rolls give a better payout.

To get used to playing tourneys, I would play play money chips just to get your feet wet. I always watch how others play, boring and hard at first. But well worth it.

Get some free rolls going and try to build up enough to be able to play some min buy in SNG's, great practice and shorter.

When I first started I did like you are doing. No way to ever get to the next level, people seem to think that it is only a penny, then only a few pennies more. And won't fold a hand.

S

SkilsToPayBils

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No I haven't heard of it but thanks for pointing it out. What change did you see in your game after you started using it? In terms of bankroll if you feel comfortable answering it.

G

Grearix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 30% is quite a high number for seeing the flop overall. I would work on your game pre flop. Pots won on showdown is with 44% showing you probably call too easily, when you should understand you are behind. This will come with experience and learning, I see you are doing both intensively so I'm sure you will see those stats improve soon. Good luck!

S

SkilsToPayBils

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Following some of the advice I'very received, I've tightened up and call small raises in position with KQ, KJ, KT. I also try not to overplay AJ, A10, but mostly I foundon't I got in lot of trouble with pockets pairshop of JJ or lower. Thanks for all your advice. So far, I'm doing better.

T

TH13gambler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find being patient works and dont worry to much about profitability right away i think the problem with micro stakes is to many people are just having fun so they play badly and get lucky???? i think.

Miketheman190

Miketheman190

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the microstakes I find it's more important extracting money from bad players avoiding the good ones unless you have a good hand

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the microstakes I find it's more important extracting money from bad players avoiding the good ones unless you have a good hand

agree with that. On microstakes the most important factor is table selection. Just try to avoid spots with decent players and focus mostly on bad players. Don't think about balance on micro and valuebet them as hard as you can. Just use 90% bet sizes when you have a good hand like TPTK and better, don't slowplay unless you hit absolute nuts like 88 on 882r and what most people miss just not call a lot on MP-SB. The problem on micro is high rake and playing a lot of multiway pots. Your hands like AJs, KQo just lose much equity in multiway pots. Its often just better to 3bet them preflop than involve yourself in tough spots.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Make table selection. Avoid hards spots. Define which hands and how you will play your hand in the flop.