Struggling at Micro Stakes

P

PapaDoc13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys.

I've been playing poker for about 4 years now, but recently became serious and began playing online. I started at NL50 and was doing well but i was breaking even because of poor bankroll management. After learning this, I started a $50-$20k bankroll challenge where I'd start at the lowest stake and move up.

I was doing rather well at NL50, but for some reason I can't establish a solid winrate at NL2 and it has me questioning my skill. I apply a generic TAG strategy and don't engage in much fancy play, but I can't seem to run good consistently. Are there any tips or things I can do to solidify my game?

C

ccres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys.

I've been playing poker for about 4 years now, but recently became serious and began playing online. I started at NL50 and was doing well but i was breaking even because of poor bankroll management. After learning this, I started a $50-$20k bankroll challenge where I'd start at the lowest stake and move up.

I was doing rather well at NL50, but for some reason I can't establish a solid winrate at NL2 and it has me questioning my skill. I apply a generic TAG strategy and don't engage in much fancy play, but I can't seem to run good consistently. Are there any tips or things I can do to solidify my game?

Hi. Are you using a HUD? If so if you were willing to post your basic stats (your non-showdown winnings, your showdown winnings, your total winnings, and maybe how you're doing at each position)? There are people on here that could probably give you some good advice with that information. Without that type of information I'm not sure you'll get anything other than some general things to think about that you probably already know.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Following bankroll management is very important, you can ruin a lot of hard work in a hurry if you are not careful!

Get/make big hands, bet them like crazy, and watch the calls roll in.

Value bet relentlessly and don't pay off the people that play decently (although they are few and far between at these levels).

S

Spripe

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, use a tracker of some sort and track your stats. Study your game, find your leaks. Maybe you pay to see another card to hit a gutshot straight too often and it doesn't pay off enough to make it worth it. Or maybe your playing low pocket pairs too aggressively. TAG at NL2 is definitely good, not many people bluff there and it's hard to get bluffs through. Just solid abc poker is good

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys.

I agree with the TAG style, that is the way to go in NL2. Don't bluff, and play your good hands very aggressively. Raise, raise, raise if you have a good hand and go all-in after river with nuts or at least close to it. People are willing to call all-in quite often in NL2 with just top pair etc. so try to get the best out of your good hands. Then again, don't go too crazy with only mediocre hands by calling too much with them or being too aggressive yourself. You said that you are not running good consistently so that's not your fault, that's variance. If you keep playing good, solid poker at NL2, you will definitely beat that in a long run.

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always remember that the main objective is to make money, play where you feel more comfortable. Theories say many things, but only in practice you see that

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Table selection is the very important, have you marked the fish and do you look for them before sitting at a table? Do you dodge the sharks and the short stackers?

D

drazak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Table selection is definitely important, I might consider playing more SNGs and MTTs for your bankroll challenge. It's very easy to bust 25 BI at 2NL, but if you're consistent it's pretty hard to bust that many dollar tourneys.

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although you can't physically see your opponents, try to pick up tells, such as betting patterns and positional play. Don't treat your opponents lightly, but don't be afraid to make hand reads and exploit their tendencies. Contrary to what a lot of people think, you can bluff at NL2. Just don't get into habits of assuming your opponent always has it or is always bluffing. And be prepared to lose some hands. sometimes, they just suck out on you. If your game is solid enough, you should make progress. Just don't try to make it happen all at once. Be prepared to grind it out.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Table selection is the very important, have you marked the fish and do you look for them before sitting at a table? Do you dodge the sharks and the short stackers?

LOL, the "short stackers".

I like to play that way at 2nl. I buy in for the min and when I want to play a hand I just shove. If I lose I buy in for a little more than I lost with. Kind of like a "martingale" strategy.

P

PapaDoc13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Im doing my best to stay away from the regs I know to be decent, and I was told the short stackers tend to be the fishes so I've actually tried to actively find them. It just so happens lately I can't find one without the other.

P

PapaDoc13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Table selection is definitely important, I might consider playing more SNGs and MTTs for your bankroll challenge. It's very easy to bust 25 BI at 2NL, but if you're consistent it's pretty hard to bust that many dollar tourneys.

I notice I perform a lot better in SNG's but I feel like I Pick up tells quicker with cash games because there are more regs to exploit.

P

PapaDoc13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. Are you using a HUD? If so if you were willing to post your basic stats (your non-showdown winnings, your showdown winnings, your total winnings, and maybe how you're doing at each position)? There are people on here that could probably give you some good advice with that information. Without that type of information I'm not sure you'll get anything other than some general things to think about that you probably already know.

I recently picked up a HUD and I'm going to give it a week to gather stats cause I play about 4K hands a week. Would that be a decent enough amount for analysis?

C

ccres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently picked up a HUD and I'm going to give it a week to gather stats cause I play about 4K hands a week. Would that be a decent enough amount for analysis?

Well, the more hands the better, maybe play for two weeks than post. Maybe make a new post asking for comments and see what kind of response you get. There are definitely people here that could help with the proper information.