Strategy for Large tourneys with Small buy-ins

Syracuseeee

Syracuseeee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it possible to play a solid type of poker without going all-in on margtinal hands and win these things. It seems I always go All-in with the best hand but the large donkish chip stacks will eventually catch me.

greywind50

greywind50

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eventually you get short stacked and you either have to go allin or fold because you don't have the chips to get respect for your bets. Even if you have a big stack your opp's will be short stacked and they will force you to fold or call the allin. no way to avoid it; nature of the beast

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is posible. I played the ferguson(about 1500 players) and cash in 4 of 10 times, one finishing in 4th place.

On the dailly dollar (about 7000 players) i cash in 2 of 4 times. One finishing 198.

I'm not a great player, i'm just starting to play but somehow i managed to do it pretty well on the tournaments.

I play tight in the early stages and wait for a good hand to doble up my stack. I don't think that is so important to acumulate chips in the begining of the tournament. Those people that you see thay have a very big stack on the first level of blinds almost never get to the final stages of the tournament anyway.

If you play tight you are guaranted enough time on the tournament to wait for a chance to get those chips.

Pacience is the key to play this long tournaments.

(Also check Dan Harrington stats on the main event, this is one of the best examples on solid poker)

N

nobby1510

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree - you can have success playing tight aggressive solid poker. However early on if you can see cheap flops with potentially big hands like small pairs and suited connectors its worth playing and trying to catch a big one. Just dont pay to see marginal hands.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play tight and Aggressive and pick your spots. You will feel better about it, confirms your confidence level. Won't happen all the time but more often than not. Good luck

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Course, TAG it up and pull your value from the calling-stations.
The $1 rebuy is usually a good example. Often you can make the break with a tasty stack and not have bought back in once. Players will drop all-in with any pair, any ace and often worse. Not tough to stack up if your not afraid of a few strong pre-flop plays.
The none rebuys take a bit more patience, but a very similar style will see you through to the late stages more often than you bust. Be prepared for occassional (well, occassional depending where you play!) bad beats and suckouts though. This style will sometimes have the opposite effect and see you dropped out on your arse quite early on by luckboxes with marginal hands before you've had chance to double through.

Syracuseeee

Syracuseeee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Appreciate the insights guy's TY trying to cash in on the Daily dollar now

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what all these guys said. and i'll add, you're not doing wrong gettin sucked out or a 63o cracking your AA, play those big hands hard, you will not BELIEVE what beats you sometimes...be willing to die on your big hand, especially preflop against one other person, its a cheap tourney with cheap competition, its not your fault they suck

other than that, just be patient, even if it feels like you're blinding out, by that point, there's always that guy who's playing everything so your A2s all of a sudden isn't that bad of a shove hand

my problem is often after i've come back from the dead in a freeroll or cheap tourney, i don't know when to take my foot off the gas. i shove with a suited A and win, still really short, shove with a mid pp, win, then i'm all right for a little while, then that damned 99 shows up and i'm thinkin its time to shove again, boy am i always wrong...been getting better about that when such a situation comes up.

*edit* oh, and another thing, don't get all hung up about KO'ing ppl with your marginal hand, just because they're short and it only costs you another blind....let it be someone else's problem, they're staying short if no one calls anyway, don't get caught up in wasteful spending, "just because"

Syracuseeee

Syracuseeee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my problem is often after i've come back from the dead in a freeroll or cheap tourney, i don't know when to take my foot off the gas. i shove with a suited A and win, still really short, shove with a mid pp, win, then i'm all right for a little while, then that damned 99 shows up and i'm thinkin its time to shove again, boy am i always wrong...been getting better about that when such a situation comes up.

Yeah have that same problem been working on Negreanu's small ball strategy along with my solid play and seems to be helping a bit but I know sooner or later the marginal hands dont hold up

Syracuseeee

Syracuseeee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Finished in the money but got knocked out with AK suited by J-4 os WOW

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play those big hands hard, you will not BELIEVE what beats you sometimes...be willing to die on your big hand, especially preflop against one other person

That is just about the best advice I've heard in a long time! You have to be willing to die to live. Dont let the bad beats get to you (easier said than done).

The suggestions and comments here are it. Congrats on those stats by the way-I think they are a lot better than mine.