Stop checking the prizepool in the lobby!

italorohdrigues

italorohdrigues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Imagine you've been studying poker for a while, you are now starting to play mtts, a few (or a lot) games after that you managed to be the one of the chip leaders of the 40 left on a tournament that more than 3k people have registered, you check the prize pool for top 3:

$$$$$

every time a player is eliminated you check it again, and again, and again, you start to think about what are you going to do with the money, you picture yourself telling everyone how much you made playing poker, you visualize your sharkscope going straigh up like a Space X rocket

But suddenly everything falls apart, you make two mistakes and 2/3 of your stack disappears, you try as hard as possible to survive and double up your chips again, but you end in the 17th position

You expected to get:
$$$$$
but you got:
$$

the frustration you feel is devastating, its like you throw away your best chance to get your highest payout ever.

---

That happened to me two times, yesterday again I was getting pretty close to my highest payout yet, but this time I focused on playing rather than the prizepool, every time a thought like "I've never been that far in this mtt" or anything like that came across my mind, I blocked it,

I didn't make it to the final table, but I was happy about my results and thats where I'm focusing from now one, not the 1st, not the money, but the evolution of my game, we gotta walk before we can run

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There was me thinking "I'm the only person who does that!", It seems a lot of people do...

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also do it, that encurages me, and I never distract me, I open even the tables of the short stack, lol

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never check the prize pool. I do not see it as necessary. On the contrary, I think this information will distract me.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also do it, that encurages me, and I never distract me, I open even the tables of the short stack, lol

I agree... It does not distract but serves as a way point, goal setting and creating targeted outcomes... Its the finish line...

Who doesn't look at the finishing line when running towards it? lol

:confused::D:D