Starting hands in 6-max

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am used to playing 9 handed cash games low stakes. My VPIP is about 26 with a PFR of 17. It seems to work ok at those stakes. I would like to try my hand at 6max low stakes, what do you all find best for opening at those tables. I would imagine i need to open up a little more. And 3 bet more often. thoughts?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A 6-max table is basically just the same as a full ring table, where the first 3 players have folded. So you just open the exact same hands, as you always have, from the various positions. This of course means tighter from LJ (which is now UTG) and looser from BTN and SB.

A VPIP of 26 is very high for full ring and a gap between VPIP and PFR of 9 is way to much. Most solid winning players only have a gap of 2-4. A gap of 9 mean, you are either limping preflop or more likely doing a lot of cold calling. And while it might feel like, all that cold calling is working out fine, for the vast majority of people this is a leak.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do tend to flat from late position with hands like suited connecters, low pocket pairs or A rag suited plus I defend the BB blind pretty wide. I think that's where the VPIP and PFR gap comes from.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am used to playing 9 handed cash games low stakes. My VPIP is about 26 with a PFR of 17. It seems to work ok at those stakes. I would like to try my hand at 6max low stakes, what do you all find best for opening at those tables. I would imagine i need to open up a little more. And 3 bet more often. thoughts?
i do well at 6 and 8 man tables I dont raise as much as you do esp out of position esp early on.... Id like to see more flops whether is holdem or omaha that is my thing I think if can see enough flops I can outplay most players...> EGO or whatever is always how ive felt... im working off their bets honestly and do a lot of check raising and a lot of so called stealing but i am playing legit cards and if sort of stealing ive hit something or have a good solid draw etc.. unless is a super timid table then im pushing even more.... everything though boils down to my position and the table bets and image of ea player:) id like to see 45 % of flops if table is playing really tight....

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play well post-flop and you have a decent understanding of how your opponents will respond to your desires, that is, all you need is 100% hands from the button, if no one has opened a pot before you. You can practice: select the day on which you will open 100% of the hands with the button. Thus, you will greatly advance in understanding the strength of the position. Obviously, such a strategy rarely gives you a reliable positive result, but you can quickly learn the main lesson.It is also worth looking at the blinds, if there are weak players who often fold, then a similar 100% range can ultimately bring you a lot of money in the long run. If you study your earnings in 6-max poker, then almost always you will see especially large numbers when playing with a cutoff and button. I already said why, position is 2/3 of your success!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands