Starting Hands Guide

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm only about two months into serious online play so I still keep my browser open to the Cardschat starting hands guide. I noticed J-8o is playable in late position but Q-8o is considered never playable. Why? both have potential for Q high straights and if anything Q-8 seems even better due to the higher pair when you hit. What am I missing here?

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My explanation is that with J8 you have to hit a 10 and a 9 to have an open ended straight draw, while with Q8, you have to hit a 10, a 9 but also a J. So you have better odds with J8 than Q8.

Last edited:
SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My explanation is that in J8 you have to hit a 10 and a 9 to have an open ended straight draw, while in Q8, you have to hit a 10, a 9 but also a J. So you have better odds with J8 than Q8.

Interesting. So the unlikely event of having an open ended straight draw is stronger than being able to pair up higher.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting. So the unlikely event of having an open ended straight draw is stronger than being able to pair up higher.

Yep, because with J8, you can make a straight two ways either with 9 10 Q or with 9 10 7. With Q8, you can make a straight with 9 10 J only.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play 3 gappers they have reverse implied odds only one straight also. Dont play J8 itll lose you big pots. Play 11% to 15% of hands cash game.

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play 3 gappers they have reverse implied odds only one straight also. Dont play J8 itll lose you big pots. Play 11% to 15% of hands cash game.

Totally. I wouldn't play either of those hands. Unfortunately I'm back in freerolls-only mode again. I have a no depositing rule. Lost all my freeroll and cash money in a run of bad beats last week.

15 percent of cash hands tops? I have to develop more discipline. I'm hovering around 20.

What are reverse implied odds?

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reverse implied odds’ is the term used to describe the odds in poker that a player will lose even if their hand is completed by the draw, because another player holds a hand that ranks higher.

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reverse implied odds’ is the term used to describe the odds in poker that a player will lose even if their hand is completed by the draw, because another player holds a hand that ranks higher.

Ok, so 7-J gets beat when it hits 89T because someone else could have the JQ?

Malnitruth

Malnitruth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm only about two months into serious online play so I still keep my browser open to the Cardschat starting hands guide. I noticed J-8o is playable in late position but Q-8o is considered never playable. Why? both have potential for Q high straights and if anything Q-8 seems even better due to the higher pair when you hit. What am I missing here?

Q high straight easily mucked with any KQ's and also not in great shape with that 8 kicker to be calling off river value bets...

SocialBombast

SocialBombast

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Q high straight easily mucked with any KQ's and also not in great shape with that 8 kicker to be calling off river value bets...

I see. Hitting that Q straight seems like a good way to lose a boatload of money. I'm also losing too much when I have the weaker full house.

P

PSSucks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just ran across this chart again after seeing it many years ago and have to say that I consistently defy some of what's suggest on it. For example, it advises folding pairs of JJ and lower when in the early position, but I just can't do it and will try to limp-in, hoping to see a flop cheaply and maybe hit a set. I've never really kept good track of how that strategy works out for me but will perhaps try playing completely according to the chart for a while.

So I was just wondering if most people play according to the recommendations, generally ignore it, or maybe just don't agree with some of it.

W

wacosteel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would raise with Q-8o on the button, but I'm never calling with it, unless I'm bb and only sb has raised.

I do think it's playable on the button if no one else has raised. This is one of the worst hands I will play, and only in the right spots.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see. Hitting that Q straight seems like a good way to lose a boatload of money. I'm also losing too much when I have the weaker full house.

It won't happen often but when it does it well makes up for the times it didn't.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just ran across this chart again after seeing it many years ago and have to say that I consistently defy some of what's suggest on it. For example, it advises folding pairs of JJ and lower when in the early position, but I just can't do it and will try to limp-in, hoping to see a flop cheaply and maybe hit a set. I've never really kept good track of how that strategy works out for me but will perhaps try playing completely according to the chart for a while.

So I was just wondering if most people play according to the recommendations, generally ignore it, or maybe just don't agree with some of it.
I play pairs for sets from any position against any player as long as the implied odds are their. Pocket pairs are a blessing. The chart is generic dogmatic amateur hour.

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, so 7-J gets beat when it hits 89T because someone else could have the JQ?

Another way to understand reverse implied odds (because 3 different places have drilled it into my head this week) is that you're playing to win a small pot but lose a large pot.

If it comes 3 to a straight, you're not usually going to get called by 2 pair or an overpair or whatever - the straight is too obvious. When you do get called, or have to call, it's going to be from at Least your straight (chopped pot) if not a better straight (flush, full house, etc).

You can't win a lot of money - but you can lose a lot of it.

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all down to the difference in the gaps. I would not play either, however if I was in the BB and only one other in the pot, I would limp in with J8o.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands