Starting hand rankings

V

vladdracul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How were the starting hands ranking arrived at? I have read that supposedly a million hands are dealt via computer but were they run heads up or against all 10 hands? The reason I ask is cuz My AA hands seem to get cracked all the time. Either one of 2 things happen. Someone makes a set or hits 2 pair and a lot of times they are usually only using 1 card from their hand to make a straight or a flush. How do they get the 90% favorite preflop stat when my experience it is usually only 50% of the time they hold up? KK is even worse even tho they are supposed to be 84% favorite, pre flop. especially against A crap with a lot of times crap crap showing up if the A does not. Where and who ran these simulations to arrive at these rankings?.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How were the starting hands ranking arrived at? I have read that supposedly a million hands are dealt via computer but were they run heads up or against all 10 hands? The reason I ask is cuz My AA hands seem to get cracked all the time. Either one of 2 things happen. Someone makes a set or hits 2 pair and a lot of times they are usually only using 1 card from their hand to make a straight or a flush. How do they get the 90% favorite preflop stat when my experience it is usually only 50% of the time they hold up? KK is even worse even tho they are supposed to be 84% favorite, pre flop. especially against A crap with a lot of times crap crap showing up if the A does not. Where and who ran these simulations to arrive at these rankings?.
Preflop equity only applies if hands are guaranteed to see the river. It's the possible combinations a hand can hit to win by the river.

AA vs 22 is 80/20 because AA doesn't need to improve majority of the time. There are far more boards that favor AA than there are boards that favor 22. However, 20% the board combination will favor 22 > AA.

If there is betting involved, the river isn't guaranteed and you have to consider things like player error. Situations like you calling a bet when you're way behind, folding to a bluff, you bluffing and getting called, improper bet sizing, slow playing too much, trying to be trappy and getting caught, etc. All of that is going to bring down a hands winning percentage.

Also, unless you're running some kind of tracking software, your hand's winning/losing percentage is just guesswork. It's easy to remember times you've lost with AA but you probably to remember all the times you've won with AA uncontested preflop. If all you remember are the losses, then yes, it's easy to say your AA loses 100% of the time.

K

Ktv2018

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop equity only applies if hands are guaranteed to see the river. It's the possible combinations a hand can hit to win by the river.

AA vs 22 is 80/20 because AA doesn't need to improve majority of the time. There are far more boards that favor AA than there are boards that favor 22. However, 20% the board combination will favor 22 > AA.

If there is betting involved, the river isn't guaranteed and you have to consider things like player error. Situations like you calling a bet when you're way behind, folding to a bluff, you bluffing and getting called, improper bet sizing, slow playing too much, trying to be trappy and getting caught, etc. All of that is going to bring down a hands winning percentage.

Also, unless you're running some kind of tracking software, your hand's winning/losing percentage is just guesswork. It's easy to remember times you've lost with AA but you probably to remember all the times you've won with AA uncontested preflop. If all you remember are the losses, then yes, it's easy to say your AA loses 100% of the time.

You are absolutely right!
As you described was my fist style of playing, I read a lot about this subject and change my game perspective all together. From my perspective slow playing is what’s killing your odds because you could have 5 players with various hands that could hit something and you’re AA are gone.

V

vladdracul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Equity

I know that equity or value of AA, KK and AK go down the more players enter the pot. I usually push hard with these hands but invariably get called. I play tournaments and usually will get at least one call, not unusual to get 2 callers. Then flop comes and it is 3 of the same suit and neither of my AA or KK or AK are suited up with the flop or 3 cards to a straight shows up. I hate that cuz I know anybody with a flush or straight draw will not fold and then poof they make their hand on the turn or river. Maybe I need to read up on zen poker books cuz I get really frustrated with these hands when they go south but I keep playing the odds and raising pre flop like the pros say to do. I swear I keep losing hands when I am an 80% favorite to win, 80% of the time on the dam river card. Could be my imagination but seems to happen way to often for the stats to be true....lol.

A

Alberto Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Professionals vs Unconventionality

The pros and cons can vary viewing matters from a professional and unconventional perspective. Professional allows for expectancy where as unconventional many times leaves room to float on and then smash. Do not set yourself up with disappointing expectantcies by being prepared to be disappointed first and being surprised with a good flop and winning hand later. GOD bless you. Go get'em.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands