Start tournament

telespf

telespf

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What your strategy for start of tournament?!

Teachers tell abou you don’t involv a weak hands in the star of the tournaments.
There are several crazy players in this level.

But how you action in this situation. And if you have a good draw and receive all in, you pay for the risck get out of the tournament?!

You wait the position for bet hight?!

But, and about the blinds to be loser for the time…

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stacks are often deeper at the start of a tournament. The range of hands you can profitably open deep stacked indeed is a bit tighter. If you're unsure of what to open at different stack depths there are plenty of resources going over pre-flop hand selection.

If playing tight is boring to you, you have a couple of options. Play more tables, play a faster format. Playing more tables ultimately will cut into your winrate somewhat since you need to divide your attention. Faster formats have higher variance and a lower skill edge.

But how you action in this situation. And if you have a good draw and receive all in, you pay for the risck get out of the tournament?!

ICM doesn't play a huge role at the start so +cEV tends to be +$EV.

All the basic rules of position also apply to the start of a tournament.

If an open steal is +cEV it's probably +$EV. Follow pre-flop charts to get an idea of which hands to open from late position.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Although I'm not a beginner and have been playing poker for over 10 years, I still conservatively try to wait patiently for strong cards and not play with junk. For me personally, this is the best strategy that gives good results. :)

S

Stickyfish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Teachers tell abou you don’t involv a weak hands in the star of the tournaments.
There are several crazy players in this level.

At the start of the tournament, you will be playing very deep stacked.
It is very important to understand what kind of hands you want to open with and defend too. SPR will be very high. So small pairs and suited connectors go up in value. Avoid playing offsuit broadway hands and broadway cards with a decent kicker. If your get dealt bad cards frequently just keep folding there is no need to panic and play bad cards. Be attentive and see what your opponents are doing. Try to understand their play and make adjustments accordingly.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The start of a tournament is when you have the least information about your opponents. Its a good time to just play quality starting hands with good position and pay attention. Find out who the tight players are, who is loose, who plays scared, and who is the maniac. This is important to plan your actions as the blinds rise.

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If we talk about small stakes / frerolls then :

1) first 1-2 hands people might go crazy and all in with any 2 cards, so don't play unless yout hand is strong enough for all in.
2) until blinds are big - play small pairs, suited connectors, suited gappers. People tend to call big bets and you end up in 3-5 way pot. So hit a big hand and bet big.
3) Obviously premium hands! Just don't slow play them, unless you're trying to provoke some crazy dude to push you.
4) Don't play ace rags out of position.
5) Watch out for placings and bubble stage.

Not a poker pro by any means, just my friendly advices for a fellow CC member :)

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Consider number of entrants, late reg period and whether tourney allows re-entry. All of these will affect the amount of risk to take early.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips

I probably too many "strategies" for that ...
Sometimes it is :sleep: while other times me as cautious as police while on some other nights i tend to activate military style instead ...

And these are just few examples ...