Stack in BB's or chips?

kristianbj

kristianbj

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you play online poker, do you have your stacks value showing in BB's or chips, and why do you prefer the one over the other?

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When you play online poker, do you have your stacks value showing in BB's or chips, and why do you prefer the one over the other?
I only use the chips value because the BB value changes as the blinds go up amd it can be a bit confusing especially when you start to get a bit tired!!

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like mine in chips but it is a personal preference. I see the advantages of having them listed in BBs. One is that you will know immediately when you are at push/fold territory and then you can adjust your play. Secondly, the math is easier for some if we are talking in the units of 100 or less (most of the time you will have 100BB or less) compared to thousands. This especially could be true when a pot odds calculation arises mid game. Last advantage is I have heard some players protect their chips more if they see they have 27BBs instead of the 10,800 chips or whatever it may be. When they see smaller numbers they are less careless with their bets and put a greater value on their stack.

If you are a new player I would say to try out both methods and see what you like. There is no right or wrong answer for this but if you having your stack displayed in BBs makes you play better than why not do it? If you feel more comfortable seeing the chips in regular units then use that. Experiment a little with both, give both an open mind and see how it works out.

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have always played showing chip stack and never played in BB's count. If i did play with BB's showing on my table then I would be very confused as to how I'm going to bet. It's just my opinion.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to view my stack in bb cause it s simplier to make decisions not only postflop but preflop for pushing or rejaming cases.I started to use this option when it just appeared so I advice to use it to simplify different game situations.

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stack in BB or chips

I think the most efficient way to view your stack is in big blinds. It gives you a better idea of how much time you have left in a tournament and at the same time it's easier to calculate your odds.
As far as cash game I think it makes no difference. You just have a more mathematical approach to the game when you don't think in terms of money but in terms of what is actually at stake. If you think about it the only thing that makes the game functional is the blinds!

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in chips, even though I feel that it's more right to keep them in bbs

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have mine set on the number of chips, but if I could set it on number of big blinds including the antes I would. My HUD shows the number of BBs for each player.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a tournament I keep it in BB's as it makes it easier for decision making process. In a cash game I like it in chips as the blinds stay constant.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Name one poker site that shows in BB's. All the ones I play use chip stack. I would assume you are using a HUD.

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Name one poker site that shows in BB's. All the ones I play use chip stack. I would assume you are using a HUD.

ACR... Started playing again a few months ago and they added the feature. Just click on your chip stack and it will change.

As far as preference. I multi table, usually six at a time, and seeing big blinds really help. I can raise what I want pre (2.2 bbs) and I never have to worry about how many chips that is. Same with post flop. It shows pot in big blinds so it makes betting percentages of the pot with simple math instead of worrying about hundreds of thousands of even millions in chip value.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

ACR America's Card Room (as mentioned) and I assume Black Chip Poker (another skin on the same network).

pokerstars is another one, although you may need to enable it in the settings. And, just to be extra annoying, you need to enable it for ring games and tournaments separately.

I keep things on BB, even though I mostly play ring games. This is nice when I am playing two different buy-in levels. It normalizes everything to big-blinds and makes it easier.

Poker Chips - History of Chips