Can Someone Explain This?

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just downloaded Pokerstrategy's Equilab for Omaha.

I calculated two random hands - results were 49.99% and 50.01%, and when I put some board cards difference is even more: 49.94% and 50.06%.

How is this possible?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess, its because the program uses iterations, and therefore it never gets to the exact true result. For situations, which you actually want to calculate, those 0,01%-0,06% is close enough. We never have that perfect information about our opponents range anyway :)

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also Ad Kd Ah Kh vs. As Ks Ac Kc shows 49.96% and 50.04%.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is an option "room". As default it is "pokerstars". In Pokerstars the diamonds and the hearts are little stronger.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most equity calculators like Equilab use a simulation method.

Instead of doing a pen-and-paper style calculation of what the result should be, they simulate the match-up a large number of times to see the result. For example, if someone puts in 22 vs AKs, the program does a large number of runouts and then outputs the percent that each hand won.

So the results are very good but not 100% exact.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also, in Equilab (for holdem at least), there are two ways to calculate: "Enumerate All" or "Monte Carlo".

When we perform an "Enumerate All" calculation for 2 players, it merely takes all possible combos and runs it against the other possible combos. If we select "Monte Carlo", then Equilab will select random cards and keep running these as simulations until we tell it to stop. The "Enumerate All" works great for simple scenarios, like 2 players, or river scenarios where there isn't a lot of mystery left.

Be aware of the calculation setting you are using. It may take Monte Carlo many millions of games before the results stabilize around the result you are looking for.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most equity calculators like Equilab use a simulation method.

Instead of doing a pen-and-paper style calculation of what the result should be, they simulate the match-up a large number of times to see the result. For example, if someone puts in 22 vs AKs, the program does a large number of runouts and then outputs the percent that each hand won.

So the results are very good but not 100% exact.

That was an answer that I was looking for, thank you.