Can someone educate me on the theory that tells a good player this chop pot = AQ

L

lqprimetime

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this specific hand, I am sure everyone saw it years ago on a show about "high stakes" poker.

player X: has Ah Qs
player Z: has Qc Jc

flop comes: Qd Jd 8h

so top pair top kicker vs top 2 pair.

Player X contemplates a call while saying it maybe a chop, and that prompts the commentator to say, when he just said chop he has just said he has AQ.

What gives this information away. I know it's a hard question maybe to answer because there are maybe many hands that would result in a chop if player Z didn't have QJ,
But I don't understand the thought process by someone saying a chop pot signals to pros he has AQ.

I would think top kicker would be an easy no chop. I would understand if there were more high cards or flushes/straights on the flop that would make the A kicker irrelevant against another Q.

But what signals this as AQ when mentioning chop. As an amateur I am used to simpler situations like 4 to a straight on the board signaling a chopped pot is very likely.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't seen the show. It may be a verbal tell that making a defensive statement when contemplating a call, could suggest good but not great hand.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't talk during a hand in live poker.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't seen the hand but I think it might be something like this:
Because the player is contemplating calling and he is really thinking about it it means he doesn't have an easy fold: nothing or he doesn't have an easy call/raise: two pair or better. I guess because of the preflop action his opponent doesn't have AA. KK or AK. So because he is thinking about calling the most likely hand that is one pair (not weak - not strong) is AQ.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
need both players' stack size plz.
when saying this, it is hard to explain unless stack size given.

L

lqprimetime

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will post the youtube link, if that is not against the rules?

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By the person saying it is likely a chop pot, you can remove any sets since they both can't have the same set with that board. It is also highly unlikely that they would both have KK or AA.
The other most likely hand they could expect a chop for would be 10 9. If Phil had that he would have no trouble calling nor would he have a problem calling with QJ. KQ or lower would be an easy laydown and we wouldn't get the show.
AQ is the only hand he could really be thinking of calling the hand and be a possible chop with his opponent that would require that much consideration.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ONLY hand which would be a guaranteed chop in that situation is if both players had 9T. The reason the player said it is to find out if the opponent who bet is holding that hand based on their reactions. They were looking for a tell to know if their own hand was good enough.

The only reason why the announcer said everyone knows he has AQ is because he was "cheating" by knowing his hole cards and thought he was being intelligent while completely whiffing on what was actually going on.

You are correct to challenge ill-advised comments by professionals. While most amateurs would have just sat back in awe of the announcer's abilities, you questioned it, and rightfully so. You have a great poker instinct. I advise you to trust it and always question what seems like bad advice.

Poker Tells