Small Stake Opponents

S

Schrubbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
Whats your approach to estimate your Opponents Skills?

In early stages of micro stakes tournaments you run into alot very loose and fishy players. When it comes to tough River decisions its always hard to find a good Range for my opponent if i have no information on them. I never now if i should asume that hes a decent Player or a Fish. There are often Situations where i would always call vs a less experienced Player but always Fold to a decent Player.

So whats your approach on this?

Regards, Schrubbler

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A very good Question! I'm facing this Kind of situations regularly as well - I haven't found any "solution" to this unfortunately, I guess there's no other way than to Gather Information on your opponents as you Play - if you faced tough decisions very early on against an unknown Player, I personally follow two rules:

1) Assume the Opponent is a decent Player (i.e., don't underestimate)
2) Think About their game in this round - what did they do preflop, postflop and in turn? Does it add-up to a Hand that could beat yours? Or do you have the Feeling, he's trying to fool you?

Hope this helps a bit.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah in the lower stakes tournaments, especially if you have zero knowledge of your opponents, it's hard to make assumptions or play based off their past tendencies. Plus, assuming is where you get fooled (or fool yourself) if they end up bluffing. I think ultimately you have to chalk it up to just smart, disciplined play on your part first and foremost and then as a tournament goes on, hopefully you get a slightly better sense of your opponents and can sometimes make decisions based on that info.

R

rproctor5076

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any players on .01 .02 are little sharks they wait for premiums find players min buying on other tables to challenge that have a wider range