Small Pocket Pairs - How Much is Too Much?

H

Hunterlewis31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would try to limp in but if the raise is higher than 4x im out usually. if the other players are tight and i think two or three are sharing over cards i might oblige 6x, but usually not.

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I min raise with it out of position and in position i do the same to avoid a set over set scenario. Wouldn't call if i get raised over 4x. Usually fold on the flop if i miss but if i get a free card or a good price to see the turn i usually take it. I don't recommend getting attached to weak pocket pairs because you'll lose 80% of the time.

J

JordieChloe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Fold. Not getting good enough pot odds; don't know what sb and bb will do.
2. Call 4x. HU with a pair, I am fave, unless opener has bigger pair.
3. HU or 6 or more. 2 or more opponents small pair is dog, less than 6 oppponents, pot odds are not there.

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stack size is going to come in to play more than anything else but I'd probably max out at 4bb to make the call. Figure you are only about 1/8 to hit and in some cases you can still be behind with low set...

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set-up: 6max, online, pre-flop, no reads, all players hold 100 bb, you're the dealer, you hold small pocket pair 44.

UTG raises standard table raise of 4xbb, and action folds to you, with only the blinds to act after. Your move?

I think for the average player, a call is the norm here to set mine. Let's say instead of 4xbb he raised 6x or 8x.

1 - what is the max you are willing to call to set mine in this situation?

2 - scenario 2 is same as first, but it folds around you in BB and it turns HU for your decision. Does this change the amount of raise you are willing to call?

3 - and lastly. Do you prefer HU or the prospect of a multi way flop for this set mine?

I would not call anything over 3x with 44. Pockets under 77 aren't very strong (tier 3 hand at best).
Especially that early, I would definitely fold to a 6x bet.