small pocket pairs

G

graplet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strategies with small pockets? I know position is critical.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strategies with small pockets? I know position is critical.
So a little trick I learned the other day, and it works pretty well. Assuming you can get away when you miss.... in MTTs (wouldnt suggest this in cash games) if you have 15x the bet in your stack. You are getting pot odds to "set hunt". Of course this works best in the blinds when you dont have meny people left to act....

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know how other players play in small pairs, but they all play differently, I play small pairs according to the situation in a tournament or in a cash game, if the bet is small in the game, I play small pairs before the flop to watch and maybe I will come Seth, but if the bet is big or the players make big raises then I don’t play small pairs!

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Much depends on the number of opponents, the structure of the blind and the position. I try to open small pairs in a raise in late position, a folding in the early and a call in the middle. But very often small pairs lose, so do not open them very often.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The correct play depends on stack size position number of opponents and their style

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always limp in with small pairs: unless, I am in a tournament and my stack is low in which I will go ahead and shove all in. Now if there is a raise before me and I am in an early position than I will fold unless I have a healthy stack. If I am last to bet and the pot has been raised early and there are a few people in the pot than I will call. So basically, how I play the small pairs have many different scenarios but I try to keep it within a very simple range without varying too much.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stack size and player position and dynamics is key to planning the attack with small pairs. Being aggressive against aggressive players preflop is important. I raise with pocket pairs most of the time. “If you can call you can raise “! Depending on the reaction to the raise I will re-examine my strategy. Obviously against a super tight player and they 3 bet shove I may be folding 33-77 caliber hands. Depending on stack size you may be committed to shoving over the top of any raise or aggression. 10-15 big blinds and I’m shoving my pockets. Set mining when you have a big stack can be very rewarding when you hit the set, obviously. When I have the chips I am definitely calling raises, or 3 betting big-in hopes I hit a big flop or take it down. With a medium stack I see nothing wrong with calling a limp or limping in with small pairs in hopes of flopping a set. Although, the problem with limping is we often miss the flop and are facing overcards and a raise.

kddy

kddy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Middle and small pairs

Again I think that the position in poker is much more important than the hand they give you, a medium or small pair in an early position should only be considered a mini raise or a call, but if you are in the button there is more room for take the best advantage

What do you think?

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to hide your pocket pairs I mean if you open ace queen 3x you can't limp always pocket pairs because villains will read it and reraise your pocket pairs

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you sit and do not play such cards, you will not win anything! Wait when you come to the top couple? Are you sure that with a top pair you can increase your Bank?

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all....limp or call early...later in tourney push all-in...always a flip situation.....thanks darrell

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with the correct stack I paid in right positions just to crack or play the post flop. Now against wide ranges like that of HJ, CO or BTN depending on the villager to play 3bet a few times. Now with short stack depending on the position that the raise comes I already use them to steal even because they will not play very well post floop.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually just try to see a cheap flop and play from there.

M

Maurits92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set mine & be aware that the playability is limited due to counterfeiting possibilities amongst others.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on many factors, from positions,from stacks,from aggression at the table, but play better in later positions small pockets...

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here everyone has already advised... there is nothing more to say..)))
:cool:

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on how many chips you have, if you have a good average, you can open raise x2 from UTG with 22 33 44 etc, if the flop connect trio, you can get a lot of chips, and if you do not connect anything, is an easy fold.
And from advanced positions, you can see many flops, if the hand is clean, or if someone did open rasie X2.

Danoncebay

Danoncebay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends a lot on the style of game of the villain and the modality, being tournament or cash. It seems to me that in a tournament the decision is easier considering that your number of blinds is low

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Just play patience...
But, those types of pairs are really only good if you are super deep or super short, then go all in...

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best hands in NLH with the minimal amount of reverse implied odds. Pocket pairs small ones can be played from any position when set mining. I would advise not to call all ins with them as you are no edge high volatility gambling with your mtt life no edge. tournament

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Position is key. I limp and for a small raise I will call. Big raise I will fold.
Short stack I'm all in.

AlexDriver

AlexDriver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The true power of small pocket pairs lies in the fact that they can be amplified to a set on the flop. A set is a combination when you collect three cards of the same rank to your pocket pair, unlike a thrips, in which you will have the same three cards, but two of them will lie on the Board, and only one will be your pocket card. Sets are very strong and hidden hands, with which you potentially have to make a lot of money, as opponents will not often expect to see them with you.

Thus, instead of trying to find out with a small pocket on the post-flop, whether we are ahead or behind, most often we will only need to determine: either we get into the set, or we fold. Try to play a small pocket on the post-flop without improvements-it's not a very plus and quite a difficult game, so try to avoid it.

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as everyone else as said, really depends on alot of different variables. i do love to set mine though!

Z

Zer0-0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the stacks are big enough I like the prospects of set mining. If I can, I will try and pick the pot up preflop with a raise if I can. If there are callers, then depending on the texture of the flop and my image I might try to pick it up with a C-bet. Finally if my stack is right around 10BB or less I am pushing all in.

:evil:Zer0:evil: