small pocket pair play

L

locha2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like small pocket pairs and don't play them when someone raises. I only play them to look if I hit the third one of this kind. I will never risk all in with pocket pairs like 1010, also because I have lost last time. I was aware of that my opponent hasn't a good hand and so I called a stack about 280k with 1010 and lost against his A3. I don't really think small pocket pairs are good hands.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've been knocked out of quite a few STT's by people limp-calling all-in's from EP with 44-22, in many cases they were just as short-stacked as I was. I don't get this, if you're going to call an all-in for most or all of your stack with a small pair, why not just shove? I can see doing this in EP with AA/KK in limited circumstances, when you are reasonably sure that somebody is going to shove with callers after you limp then you can come over the top, but with a small pair? Crazy

D

deestee

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
me personally I may call a standard 3 bet raise from position with them but no more than that. pocket 9's and up may be the exception for me, but I won't play them unless I can see a flop relatively cheap

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournament or cash game?

I wouldn't call an all in with them unless your really short stacked vs an aggressive player. In general I just set mine based on how big their stack is compared to their raise.

It's a little more complex than this but this is my rough thought process.

Stack Size
20x Raise: Set mine all day
15x Raise: Set mine with position or vs a strong range
10x Raise: fold

I would argue for 10X raise and fold to 3bet
need to see the payout structure and opponent's 3bet numbers.
if against a maniac player , 3bet all his calling range
I would raise and call his shove or shoving his 3bet at less or equal to 10X with any pocket pair.
think that is +EV play.:rolleyes: