Small pair, a dilemma at the table.

A

Abutre98

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not always a good deal to give up a pair of 2 to 8, but if the flop is higher, run away!

A

Ace of Spad3s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
NL
Chips
Even if the flop is not higher, they are small pairs. Good for set hunting, sure. But costly if you keep on to them to long..

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Play 22-66 mainly in late positions and as cheaply as possible unless you are attacking the blinds. Post flop it depends on the player you are against if HU but muli-way it is often: no set, no bet. Sometimes a bet if everyone checks to you. Sometimes one call if they continue bet often.

Trismegisto

Trismegisto

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You must raise before the flop

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What does the holdem calculator say about a pair against over cards preflop? Against a possible over pair? There should be a holdem calculator here at cardschat and I know there is one at cardplayer.com

Last edited:
M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I ike to limp in with a small pair with at least pot odds 5 to 1 and hope to hit a flop

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the situation at hand. Even if you don't end up with a set, there are many cases where you unexpectedly win with a straight or flush.

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play a small pair with very low bet hoping for trips. when i get them i win big especially against AA.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, its situational as almost everything else in poker. 88 is a pretty strong hand on a board like 942 rainbow, and against a single opponent its the best hand more than half the time. So giving up to a single bet would be way to weak-tight. However if you have black 8´s on a board like KQJ all diamonds against 3 opponents, then you are likely to be drawing almost dead, and its fine to just give up and check-fold.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Here are some examples regarding this:

They will hit also...

Some times is a fold pre...

Some times we hit...