Small Ball - Preflop?

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am in the middle of reading Negreanu's small ball poker strategy, and I had a couple questions.

First, is this strategy applicable in cash games? He refers to using it in tournaments, but since one of the only requirements is being deep-stacked, I figure it would work in cash also.

Second, how exactly is this strategy applied preflop? He spends a bit of time in the book discussing preflop play, but he mostly refers to situations where he is in great position and heads up. In most tournaments and cash games, you can expect several limpers preflop. Against several limpers, are you still small-raising with marginal hands? How is this strategy applied in middle or early position? He never really discusses situations where you would just limp in preflop from any position. Is this not a part of small-ball strategy? I would think it is since the philosophy is getting to the flop cheaply, and if the table is full of limpers, I would assume it would be correct in many cases to limp in with speculative hands.