Slow playing sets/straights/houses

N

nikospov1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
More times than not, when I've hit a set/straight/house, it's pretty difficult getting opponents to bet even when they have a hand. Does calling speed play a factor when a bettor leads out into my monster hand?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It might, but the bigger factor is board texture. On a coordinated board like:

Jh Th 8d 6d

There are lots of worse hands and draws that can call. On a dry board like:

7h 7d 2c 2s

There are few worse hands that can call. So you typically want to play fast on the coordinated board and be more inclined to slowplay the dry board.

B

beginnerbot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you snap call it will look like you have a medium strength hands. The reason is with a weak hand you need to think about whether you can call and with a strong hand you need to think about raising.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its important to not give away timing tells, so I attempt to make most of my decisions in roughly the same amount of time regardless of my hand strength. But I think, other factors might be more important here. Maybe the opponent is just a bit of a nit, and then there is not much, you can do to get paid. Or you have a nitty image yourself, so that even a call on the flop send smoke rings into the air for observant opponents. In both cases the solution might be to loosen up your game and look for more spots to bluff rather than just sit and wait for a set and then expect to get paid :)