Skills

C

crakss12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What skill is more important in Holdem: discipline in the range of hands you play, or the ability to read the other player?

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Sometimes it seems to me that your cards are not important at all

vmsizo

vmsizo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this game, many factors are very important. And in each discipline you need to have different skills. But it is very important to determine for yourself your strategy of the game and develop it. After all, we all play in different ways ...

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is a skill set that makes the difference, reading the range of the opponent is one of the main. But to become a full player you need to master various skills

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill is a big part, but if you simply know how to play the game is the biggest plus. Reading the player is good, but with the best hand reading the player take a back seat.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What skill is more important in Holdem: discipline in the range of hands you play, or the ability to read the other player?

The ability to read another player seems like a harder skill to acquire. Anyone can teach what range of hands to play, heck. Just look at a table that shows which cards to play.

R

ragemine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO it is both, depending on your opponents. Sometime read is more important, sometime mixing it up is. There may not be any stone cold rules.

Emi

Emi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the ability to read the other player, but the best skill in poker is to control your emotions, don't put yourself in tilt

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So assuming that you have neither and are looking to gain one, I would work on discipline first. As you learn that, you will also get better at reading players and be in a better position to take advantage of the moments you spot a tell. It doesn't help to find a tell if you already lost all your chips playing hands you shouldn't have gotten into.

lourivalveras

lourivalveras

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The combination of both aspects makes the Path to maximize your profits in the poker game.

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe stress should be placed first in the discipline in the hands you're playing.

When you try to understand why you play certain ranges from the correct position you start to understand what ranges your opponents can be playing with context to their playing styles.

Once you master ABC poker you then gravitate to try and understand the possible ranges your opponents are playing, you try exploitative poker when you mix up your ranges based on what your opponents are playing.

I can't see how you will master reading other players hand ranges without understanding why you should/shouldn't play a given range yourself.

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would somebody give me a list of poker 'skills', and describe exactly why you think they are skills and how you acquired them. Compare those skills to ones that a scientist or a doctor have.