Sitout on tournaments

pendulabgd

pendulabgd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you sitout on tournaments purposely ever?
I do in few examples.
When I play steps tournaments and when certain amount of players enter the next level or just tickets to the tournament, when tournament stops and no point fighting for placing so when I see that I have enough to sitout I do that and works every time.
I sitout sometimes in freerolls. It takes to long and I just sitout after I build up my stack and I enter the prizes in the 90% of the time.
Do you sitout and if you do, when you are using that as your "strategy".

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a strategy for achieving results of course. The blinds are growing very fast. This encourages many players to play more hands or push. One day you will get a strong hand and can't discard it, but the opponent will get a better combination of cards. The entire stack is destroyed in a minute. However, you need to take a lot of risks to accumulate a huge stack and sit out. I don't like to go all-in at the beginning of a tournament. If you manage to get a good stack during the game, then you can focus on another ongoing tournament.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not do it. If you do this you only think about cashing, so I think you will never win any tournament. When I play a tournament I do it to win it and in this way I would never win one

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest I have never understood why this strategy, there is the fold button if you do not want to play a hand even if it is premium just fold

N

nutshove

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest I have never understood why this strategy, there is the fold button if you do not want to play a hand even if it is premium just fold

I don't understand it either, but I think a possible reason COULD be to encourage looser, more aggressive play from the remaining players, as there is 1 less player effectively dealt into the hand.

No concrete stat, but I feel like I've seen this behavior in about half of my microstake SnGs.

dominisantus

dominisantus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Several times, I got into the prize zone at tournaments (freerolls), in which I did not even play, for various reasons, but in general, if I registered, it rarely happens that I don’t come to a tournament, and being in a sit-out is not some kind of strategy, rather an accident.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't, as a habit, engage in the habit of sitting out to save chips or avoid losing a big hand or for whatever reason. As greatgam230 says, there is a fold button for that. That's not to say that I haven't sat out on occasions, such as when my uncle needed my assistance unloading his trailer.

When he saw that I had carried my laptop out with me, he realized that I must be playing poker. He told me call him when I was done, and he would come back down the road to do it later. I told him not to worry about it. It was a qualifier and I had so many chips there was no way that I wouldn't make the cut.

There have also been times when it was my day to cook dinner, when I started to take my laptop into the kitchen with me, as often do. I sit it on the counter and listen for it to let me know that it's my turn to act as I cook. But then it occurred to me that it wasn't necessary because I had enough chips to sit out for quite some time and still easily make the cutoff.

I generally wouldn't sit out though. I know that there are quite a few people out there who might frown at me for saying this, but I keep playing until the cutoff is reached. I feel like it's only fair to continue to advance the tournament along by continuing to play. I know a lot of people think I should stall for time and soft play the players at my table to help them advance at the detriment of players elsewhere in the tournament.

pendulabgd

pendulabgd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, this is the place where we came to share opinions, strategies and way of thinking as well. That's why I'm starting conversations in order to see where I'm making mistakes and what I'm doing correctly.
I rarely use it, let me give you a perspective. I'm using sitout purposely in 5% of tournaments that I play. As I already said in the tournaments where prizes are enter to the tournament there is no point to chase any place because 1st and 33st are getting the same if prizes are 33 tickets or if freeroll takes 5-8 hours and it's usually during the night, then I simply go to sleep and sitout.

And I never go allin in the beginning of the tournaments, actually I'm against it. I already opened couple of threads about it.

Still I'm interested to hear your opinion, as I said we are here to learn.

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I do sit out sometimes too. If I have a nice stack and the prizes are all the same such as 40 ticket entries. My husband has been playing poker for a long time and its his opinion that it can be the best thing to do because if you play you can also just get yourself into trouble playing a good hand even AA. Sometimes its just best to fold at certain points of long tournaments. Its a very rare thing for me to do, might have had a large enough stack maybe 2x ever to be able to afford to do this. Anyhow do what works best for you.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only sit out in tournaments, if I disconnect, or if I need to do something like going to the toilet, that can not wait for the next break. Sometimes I also return a few minutes late after the break, if for instance I wanted to make coffee, and the 5-6 minutes was not quite enough. This will usually only be for a few hands though.

As for the situation, where I am playing a satellite and already have enough chips to win a ticket, then I dont sit out. The reason is, I want to pay as few blinds and antes as possible for the rest of the tournament to increase the chance, that my plan of folding into the money will actually work.

And the way to do that is to use the maximum time to fold every hand AKA "stalling" action. This does not exactly require a lot of concentration, so I can easily multitask and for instance write something in the cardschat forum, while I am still "playing" the tournament :)

W

wulfeman007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not do it. If you do this you only think about cashing, so I think you will never win any tournament. When I play a tournament I do it to win it and in this way I would never win one
if its a step game then you get plenty its bad play to lose them /if its 100 win and ur at 48 then all you can do is lose em ..it doesnt matter how many chips you have at the end

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sit out in situation of tournaments that the prize are tickets (like the venom tournaments on ACR) and clearly I already reached the amount of chips necessary to win the ticket.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Sit out on purpose...

Well in satellites it makes sense sometimes, when it's clear I made to the tickets and I'm rather short (in order to not see a tempting hand and not be able to fold it :D) or I have big stack obviously.

And maybe sometimes in really long tournaments, when I have a big stack (like chip leader stack) which is several times bigger than other stacks at the table and we're in this tournament already long enough, then I can sit-out and do something else for a while in order to get some of my concentration back for more important stages ahead. Of course, it doesn't apply when other stacks are 20-30bbs or it's a PKO tournament, but if I have 200BBs+ and others are around 50-60BBs, then I don't usually winning much either way, so I think to regain my concentration is more important.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will sitout in tournaments when I know I am severly outmatch while being really close to the money.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well, sit out would have worked good yesterday. I was on the bubble and got AK. Someone turns over their cards with 42s. The flop brings 44x, and the river comes up 2. Yeah. If you see you can money, I would first sit out and earn the score, then later concentrate on winning the tournament.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, sit out would have worked good yesterday. I was on the bubble and got AK. Someone turns over their cards with 42s. The flop brings 44x, and the river comes up 2. Yeah. If you see you can money, I would first sit out and earn the score, then later concentrate on winning the tournament.

Bubbling is always a little annoying, but unless the min-cash is literally for live changing money, it is a huge mistake to get overly risk adverse on the bubble. Getting it in with AK for any reasonable amount of blinds is definitely fine and standard even on the bubble. It did not work for you this time, but you have to remember, that you win this 2 out of 3 times, and then dubbling up will give you a much better chance of running deep or even winning the tournament.

pendulabgd

pendulabgd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bubbling is always a little annoying, but unless the min-cash is literally for live changing money, it is a huge mistake to get overly risk adverse on the bubble. Getting it in with AK for any reasonable amount of blinds is definitely fine and standard even on the bubble. It did not work for you this time, but you have to remember, that you win this 2 out of 3 times, and then dubbling up will give you a much better chance of running deep or even winning the tournament.
Mate many times it has happened to me that I simply folding everything except premium cards (AA, KK, QQ, AK) and if I have let's say KK and A shows up at the flop I fold easily. But people called allin and I had AA, ofc that I had to call and ofc poker gods show me where is the exit door.
Many times happened to me exactly the same thing because if there's a massive chip leader with 250k chips and blinds are 1k, I have 30k and a lot of players have similarly as I, the dude who have 250k is pushing allin with almost everything so after half an hour of folding I finally got AA and peeeep, ofc that I lost.
Idk I really don't enjoy sitting out but depending on the situation sometimes can be a really smart move.

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just to think about the lower prizes. If you want to win a tournament, you have to be vigilant, participate and also take advantage of the bad hands.:cool::cool:

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If its a satty, and I have already placed ie I cannot achieve a greater prize, and nobody wants to "shove it out", then I close the table and open a new one- otherwise I would never sit out.