single table tournaments

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe it depends on the table dynamic. If they play more passive, you could be the aggressive one. If they are aggressive, you should lay some traps with premium hands and catch them big.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They should be played based on the icm of the format. A 6 man hyper will play much differently than a 9 man reg speed. You need to adjust to the number of players, the number of blinds, and the payouts.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
single table tournaments to be played aggressive or speculative?

Thank you for posting.

The standard line for play is tight early then very loose later. You have room to wait for premium hands at first then when players have been knocked and you have a short stack you have to be willing to get all-in preflop with strong equity hands not just premiums.

We also want to know when the other players increase their fold frequency so we can use ICM pressure to win pots without a showdown.

Hope this helps
:):)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They should be played based on the icm of the format. A 6 man hyper will play much differently than a 9 man reg speed. You need to adjust to the number of players, the number of blinds, and the payouts.

Said it best I think; probably about how I'd answer. Basically, we adjust to how the table is playing, the format of the payout structure/blinds/antes and everything else we adapt to in any other poker game/tournament :D

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There

I prefer MTT
Single table is very....hectic
Rgds

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For time reason, i prefer 9 players SNG.

It seems more easy to lose or win & under my control.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even a STT has different phases like early phase, bubble play, 3-handed (if a 9-man) and heads-up, and you need a different strategy for each of these as well as different opponent types and stack sizes. Its way more complicated than the question, you asked.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most common approach is solid tight-aggressive as others have said.

But keep in mind you can bring your own style to the game :) If you’re confident postflop you can be a bit looser, or delay more until shove/fold if that’s your comfort zone.