Showing your cards

O

Oil_Fan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show.

But I love those that show their bluffs. That's where I aim my trap.
I'm the same as you. I rarely show my cards. And even then it's usually just so I can setup a bluff later on if I had a dominating hand.

SlySwagga

SlySwagga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fish to sam farha "will u show ur cards if i fold"

sammy "never to no one"

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never show your cards, not even one of them. No informations for our opponents ! Don´t show a bluff, don´t show your aces or kings proudly. Most people do this, its wrong. Take the option muck winning / losing cards in the main lobby of your poker room, if available...

S

shawkid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that if you can tell a player at the table is tilting or about to go on tilt you should show a bluff every now and then. other than that make them pay to see.

LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Show your cards when you opponent calls your last bet. Otherwise, don't.

lol exactly. Especially if you are asking this question then you shouldn't be showing your cards in any game you intend to win. Less=more

S

shawkid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you don't think you should "help" the players at your table tilt a little by showing a bluff or two?:confused:

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's a price for everything. If they don't pay they don't see. Even if the player is multitabling he sees if you show! And, most likely if he is using HM or PT the information is there forever.

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You really think that your opponents are dumb enough to believe that you're only playing big hands? Maybe you should give them enough credit to realize that you're only SHOWING big hands.

I have never seen a reasonable (imo) argument for ever showing your cards without the hand going to SD. Certainly nothing ITT has changed that opinion.

This really depends on the stakes being played. I am a micro stakes player so yes many of my opponents will not be able to realize I am only showing good hands.

Last edited:
kadafi

kadafi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Show your cards when you opponent calls your last bet. Otherwise, don't.

This^^^^^

Showing your cards at the right spot may serve some sort of metagame purpose at mid/high stakes against a regular opponent, but as a rule of thumb, never show your cards.

A lot of beginners make the mistake of thinking that showing a successful bluff will put their opponent on tilt (or perhaps make everyone think your great), but all it really does is give a free insight into your style of play.

Hofmaster

Hofmaster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion is never show your cards. but sometimes when you want to create an image on a table you can. Both sides bluffing or just strong hands, but then you have to play your image.

Boston1993

Boston1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarily show my winning hand.

Although I don't consider myself a beginner, I wasn't sure where would be an appropriate place to post this topic.

I was wondering what the general attitude towards showing your cards is. When is it an advantage to show a bluff? When would you show the the best hand? I occasionally show my cards although without being in the situation i'm not sure when these occasions are. Is showing a single card ever an advantage, or is this more of a fun option, teasing the opponents if you like?

Take it away!

Lenny,
I do not show my hand very often. I have on occasion for players that agitated me in other hands. I like to see everyones winning hands and in my opinion should be automatic. You bet large amounts and then even though you might have a good hand, they go all in and fold. Sometimes you get to see their hands and most of thimes not. I hate to think I lost 2,000 chips to a trash hand when I really really had a decent hand. The bet thing to do is to try to be positive and move on to the next hand and don't let it get to you.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I only show in CC games where everyone has figured me out and put a note as "spewmonkey donk" on me anyway :D .

ruth99

ruth99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope...never show your cards...they have no idea what the hell your doing that way

mars_attack

mars_attack

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The good players win most of their hands without showdown. This way you build a stack waiting for a monster hand where you want as many palyers joining in and where at the showdown you'll crush them.

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I show my cards when I can craft a situation where it will help me in the long run. As much as I hate giving away information, I like giving away bad information. So if I make a sick call with an unimproved low pair based on a sick read and when I call my opponent mucks, I'll show.

And then the table is going to know I can catch a bluff from time to time.

When I run a solid bluff, I'll show, particularly if I don't plan on bluffing again in the near future, but want people to look me up when I'm strong and they are weak.

If you don't think you can craft an edge from it, don't try it. It's certainly a risk, and I would never show at a table with world-class players, or an online table where everybody is taking notes (presumably) and running their HUDs and tracking software (and maybe downloading my hand history to see just how terrible I am), in a live game against soft opponents I'll consider it.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing sngs everytime somebody show me a massive bluff, most of the time I knock them out later on, no its not making me think ooo wonder what he has, its making me think sweet I shall get a good hand hit the board take chips thanks!

rankus

rankus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play at home with my friends, I like to start the nihgt with bluffs, and Il ike to show them... So everybody think I will bluff all night... and they will call my raises... So eventually I will make a benfit of it...

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your playing cash games, a lot of the time your opponents are multi-tabling and not even looking at hands that don't get to showdown so the whole exercise is mute.

Unless your sure you will achieve the desired result from showing your cards you should avoid this practice.

But if they are using tracking software showing puts the hand into their database which is the same as showing and them seeing.

Simply put the only time I ever find it reasonable to show is when I successfully bluff a loose maniac. Even then I am not always doing it.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing sngs everytime somebody show me a massive bluff, most of the time I knock them out later on, no its not making me think ooo wonder what he has, its making me think sweet I shall get a good hand hit the board take chips thanks!
Oh really...:p

I will tend to show strong hands, or a bluff every now and then, when i know how a table is playing, it's won me some big pots.
But hey everyone on cc knows i play tight.:)

tarinoidenkertoja

tarinoidenkertoja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show the cards, at least i could show them in a home game with friends but online ,and at PLO, i prefer not.
The only time where i could think about it is when i bluff someone in a tricky spot and then at the next hand with a monster i will make him believe that i m doing it again.

D

Darkphoenix5000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll show if i assume showing will reward me some tilt advantage over my opponent. I hate being bullied by an over aggressive player so when the situations right I'll occasionally play back with absolutely nothing and show and trap with the nuts later for maximum value of my hand. Just to make it clear that just because I play tight-aggressive doesn't mean I'm a pushover.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Click auto muck. It makes the whole game go faster. I seldom even bother looking when someone shows without reason. Cuz I know the reason is to try to manipulate me.

If they wanna see what your cards were, make em pay, or tell em to watch it on TV.

twoturntablez

twoturntablez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id show a flopped Royal flush and four aces, if I couldnt get any more money out of the hand, and I had an OK feeling about my opponent, lets say we are both big stacks and have not been getting tangled. Other than that, too busy and no way.

Chatting anything or showing your cards will be read my most seasoned players as 'fish', so unless you are trying to portray this image, which you may be unable to if you have good stats and your opponent is looking, you cant so dont.