Should i play bigger stakes

M

Miezip

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a fairly new poker player, I started with depositing 50 dollars, and in my account I now have 300 dollars, I considere myself to be pretty new to this, with lots to learn.

I play mostly small stakes MTT and some sit and go. Would joining a higher stakes table make it more easy to figure out that what my opponents is doing, that he is not doing something crazy,

Let me give you a example of what I am tired off.

don't remember the exact details, but its sorta like this.

I sit with AA, I raise, he reraises me, I raise again, and he calls. the flop is 4 8 9, I raise, and he moves all in, with all his raises in the beginning I am not putting him on a small pocket pair, I call. and to my surprice he is holding 4 8 offsuit. .

my question is this, if I play bigger stakes would I avoid people like this ?
or do I want to be playing against something like this because I ought to win most of the time ?

Sry for the wall of text,

Regards Miezip

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, people like this in bigger stakes is rare. But you will see the difficult is higher, try playing some and see if u get comfortable.

sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have AA, it doesnt mean, that you will win. And if you opponent called your raise with 8 4, it`s not always bad move. It depends of more factors. First of all it`s your and his position at the table and sizes of yours stakes. Can you give more details of this hand to analyse it?

sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can mean that I joke but I won a hand with AA, while typed previeus post:)

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How can we answer if we dont know what buy ins you currently play?

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My experience is that you will find players like this at all levels maybe to a lesser degree but at all levels. At higher stakes you will find that not only do you have to deal with land mines but also sharks. If you are playing tournaments I would recommend watching Dutch Boyd on twitch he regularly plays low stakes tournaments on the wsop site in Nevada and is very good at dealing with these players as well as sharks. He has 3 WSOP bracelets so you know he is a competent live player, but he has a very high win rate in the online low stakes tournaments he streams on twitch as well. It is free to watch and I think it will open your eyes to some great strategy for tournament play.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mtt and sng are easier than cash games because once you leave the early levels you only have to make decisions on one or two streets of play.
Cash games unless you choose to play short stacked you need to make 4 decisions if it goes to the river. Pf, flop, turn & river
If you are winning keep doing what you have been doing and study the game on the side. Read some of the classic poker books and watch some videos then have a go at low stakes cash. It's a long time consuming journey to become an expert player.
You will soon learn to appreciate the fish who want to go up against your aces with 84. You need to learn to let AA go sometimes, it is only 1 pair after all.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You see the pros play a lot of different hands, and a lot of times they win with them. So I'm going to say that you are going to find players who will play any two at any level. If you are new, I would suggest starting low, and deal with the bad beats for a lower price. They are surely going to happen. If it was me, I would have been all in when you raised the second time. You never know, he may have folded. Was you slow playing the AAs? If so, it makes your hand value go down. He has a chance to see the flop, and just so happens he hits 2 pair. Anyway, GL to you

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you want to play with the fish, there are less fish the higher you play

if you are just starting you should have 250 buyins

if the players are really that bad you should have no problem grinding your way up

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you cant beat the bad players at the lower levels, what makes you think you can beat the players at the higher levels?

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You cant escape players like that, its not that he is a bad player, i think he just had chips decided to out play u that hand no matter what, ne reraised u reraised, he knows here u have a big hand so he flats, ditching his plan to out play u, but flop comes he hits hard, he knows u are on big pair and he was giggling like a small girl :D u can get away from situations like this, players like this play all levels, just take a look at big cash games and see the pro`s raising and reraising with 86, 74, T4, u are like "are u sure this guys are pro`s?" :D but they are coz they play everything no matter the hand :D

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As always, it depends on the game/stack sizes, but you're probably just losing all your money on that hand... Sometimes you'll stack off to a set there, other times 99-KK will stack off to you.