Should i play?

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should i play poker when i am feeling depressed or sad.
I mean whenever i play i have atleast some kind of rage or aderiline that makes me play.
But i am feeling low and sad and i have mixed feelings about playing.
Should i take break or play?

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a break, until you are feeling better.

R

Rodrigonog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better take a break, get out of the house, take a walk. when you're better back at the game. This greatly influences your game.

bstyles85

bstyles85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can't let go of the depressing thought when you play then it can be very bad, as your mind is clouded with negative thoughts that lead to poorer and impulsive decisions sometimes.

Personally when I'm depressed I'm focusing on how unlucky I am or how bad my day was yesterday rather than focusing on the 1,000's of factors that should go into every poker decision you make. Not a good thing.

I suggest take a couple weeks off from poker and get your mind in the right place.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing when depressed

As someone who suffered with this off and on for decades, I look at it from a different perspective. It is more important to consider how poker affects your mood than how your mood affects poker. If playing poker makes you feel better even when you lose money, then you should play. The chances of winning money and making you happier is worth the risk in a loss of skill. However, if losing at poker just makes you more depressed, then go ahead and take a break until you are feeling better. For me, playing poker always made me feel better when I was depressed and even allowed me to lose track of my depression for a little while. The negative effects to my game were more than made up for by the temporary relief of my depression.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am feeling anxious or a bit depressed a bit, I don't play my best. For me, I feel even worse after playing. Hope you're feeling better soon. And good luck.

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not going to give you advice, but I'll tell you what the great Doyle Brunson said about this in his book Super System: "a man's true feelings come out in a poker game." He warns you to never play when you're upset. And that when he's about to play, he feels ready to destroy everybody at the table. I wish you the best and good luck.

Y

Yoda_Priest_X_Napo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Search the youtube for hypnotic or meditation sessions to relief depression and bad feelings, there are plenty of videos on that and they working pretty well for me, but you will have to try hard also by yourself to let these feelings behind day by day, meditation in general is a must for me for anybody that wants to achieve at poker, and it is actually quiet fun to explore something i had completely no idea about, every meditation session that i do i discover something new about myself or about how it works

natasha555

natasha555

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are sad that you can not play well at all, then stop playing for a while and think up another tactic of the game or watch a video of how others play and take from them the tactics of the game you like.