Should I fold Kings?

D

Danb_1985

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing last night. Picked up nothing for 2 hours and finally wake up with kings. Sitting with 50 bigs. One limper, I raise to 3x. Big stack raises all in (with aces). Limper folds. Now, I play against this player every week and he know I’m probably right aggressive. Is he shoving cos he knows I will have something or is he raising because I may fold if I’m not strong. I obviously didn’t fold but the more I’m playing it over in my head the more I’m thinking I should’ve folded but that is now in hindsight. Should you ever fold kings like this?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NO. There are too many hands he could be doing that with and ironically people dont shove with Aces they try to sucker people in with a odd raise or an unusally 4x. Also you will still win 20% of the time anyways if he does have aces.

D

Danb_1985

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NO. There are too many hands he could be doing that with and ironically people dont shove with Aces they try to sucker people in with a odd raise or an unusally 4x. Also you will still win 20% of the time anyways if he does have aces.

Needed to hear that thanks 👍

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in full tournaments I pay but cash game I fold this hand in this configuration. it also depends on the player if he is used to playing against you. it remains difficult to answer this question.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't agree with this. Yes, he may be shoving with a wide range but in the context of this particular tournament he knows hero has been card dead for a while and is likely frustrated enough to call. The right response would normally be to answer with KK and I probably would not find a fold in hero's position.. but I would call knowing I am facing AA.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe its a flaw in my play but i am never folding KK here, yes on your example he had the aces but invariably he will not, knowing the player in some ways makes it easier - to him you could have anything remotely strong, i do think however knowing him also forces him to play the jam against you..maybe worth a note on him but otherwise i have no issue with you calling the all in. Just plain unlucky.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
playing last night. Picked up nothing for 2 hours and finally wake up with kings. Sitting with 50 bigs. One limper, I raise to 3x. Big stack raises all in (with aces). Limper folds. Now, I play against this player every week and he know I’m probably right aggressive. Is he shoving cos he knows I will have something or is he raising because I may fold if I’m not strong. I obviously didn’t fold but the more I’m playing it over in my head the more I’m thinking I should’ve folded but that is now in hindsight. Should you ever fold kings like this?
Yes there have been many times I have folded KK preflop in the past if you are in a satellite for example on bubble and 2 players go all in I would fold aces even make sure I qualified.
Why take the risk aces lose 20 percent of time.
Some tournaments you just know the tightest player on table 3x raising all night suddenly piles it all in preflop situation depending of course have folded KK against AA in this situation before too.:)
Examples below each situation bubble of $540 oss 75 satellite folded kk with half a blind and ante
if called would have been bubbleboy and a $215 main event on partypoker both games profited $5oo plus each call I get nothing.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/a-g...mega-satellite-oct-12-a-400171/?highlight=oss
There is no shame in folding your KK 50 big blinds and keeping them until you have more advantageous position flopped set flush ect and you are sure good luck.:top:
Week 1 task 1
June week 2

Last edited:
R

RunItOnce_James

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Never for 50bb in a spot like this. It's going to be so rare that you run KK into AA that it's not really a spot that I would pay much attention to. You're better off focusing on spots that come up really regularly like defending versus flop continuation bets, building your own continuation betting ranges etc.

D

Danb_1985

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the replies! Some good points and would mainly appear it’s probably never a fold so I can stop going over it in my head ha

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course you should if you do not want to leave the table. I just yesterday got pocket kings and made a cut in 4BB. Call made one player and an ace fell on the flop. When I raised again on the flop, the opponent answered by raising my raise. What do you think I should have done. Naturally, I had to reset the KK.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday same thing happened to me, in a 3$ big, arround 20 man before itm.
Shit happens :D

Last edited:
Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everybody knows I'm loosing them sooooo often, but the day I fold KK (unless for ICM reasons) will be the day I stop playing poker. What is better than beating AA with KK????:dancing2:
(I know, beating them with 22, but KK is nice as well)

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold KK pre. If I run into AA so be it.. I couldn't see a situation where I fold pre flop but call his bet see how that looks and if it changes your feelings maybe you can get off the hand probably really hard unless if A comes on the flop.

T

Tunnelrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably not have folded either. Even if you are up KK vs AA you still have almost 20% chance to win. As a matter of fact, yesterday I lost AA vs KK when he hit the flush on the turn. Maybe I would have folded in a tourney if I was in a similar situation as mentioned above.

P

ps_komaklos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You seem to know him well.. If you know he does this just with KK+ for the sake of your tourney life, I'd would say its a fold as hard as it is. (But honestly, I'd have called also, because it's not fun to be card dead that long, getting pis5ed...) Back to topic. With 50BB left you are still good and in the tournament.
If you are sure his capable of doing this with QQ+/AK or even lower, snap call.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This train of thought is the worst thing that can happen to a poker player.... I suggest to think about what else he could have. Would he have jammed with AKs, QQ, maybe even JJ? Was he polarized? Willing to try and push you offer with a 87s, 98s??? There are a lot of hands still in his range other then AA he could have had.... you cant beat yourself over that call.... It was the right one, and most of the time your gonna be on the winning side of a flip....

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not be folding KK pre either. Like others have said, you beat most of the range played against you. Unless you know this player would only make that play with AA and only AA, then you have to call.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course you should if you do not want to leave the table. I just yesterday got pocket kings and made a cut in 4BB. Call made one player and an ace fell on the flop. When I raised again on the flop, the opponent answered by raising my raise. What do you think I should have done. Naturally, I had to reset the KK.

This is a different situation entirely than what was asked. Now that a flop has been dealt and there is an ace on the board, you can much better assume that you are beat in this situation. In the example that was presented, we are still preflop and a lot of hands that beat us in your post flop example, are still well behind in the preflop example.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
After the flop an ace hits. I think they got an ace. Then I fold kings. Before the flop, never, well, maybe almost never.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't agree with this. Yes, he may be shoving with a wide range but in the context of this particular tournament he knows hero has been card dead for a while and is likely frustrated enough to call. The right response would normally be to answer with KK and I probably would not find a fold in hero's position.. but I would call knowing I am facing AA.

Wut??????????????

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would never ever fold KK all-in preflop no matter what. Unless I played 2 000+ hands with a guy and all I've seen him play is AA.

Never happened to me. Never will.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would never ever fold KK all-in preflop no matter what. Unless I played 2 000+ hands with a guy and all I've seen him play is AA.

Never happened to me. Never will.
Not even when you see 5 similar or larger stacks all-in in the same hand?

omnom8

omnom8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow ..

KK vs AA,KK,QQ,AK,AKs have 57% equity

insta call except bubble time where BB in allin. and if it is not satt for tickets its insta call even on bubble with BB allin.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with most of the posters here I would find it very very hard to fold Kings preflop. Preflop it is the second best hand and how often are you going to run into Aces. In either a cash game or tournament no I don't fold. A satellite is a different story depending on where we are at and where I'm at relative to the bubble.

Folding in Poker