Should I call continuation bet with straight draw?

A

a7aimamajalal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have this problem and I believe it is not good to call, example, you have a stright draw in the flop would call a continuation bet by open raiser? and what sizing should you call and what sizing should you fold? I've lost a lot of money calling a straight draw and 90% of the time i did not hit it. is folding the right play?

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have this problem and I believe it is not good to call, example, you have a stright draw in the flop would call a continuation bet by open raiser? and what sizing should you call and what sizing should you fold? I've lost a lot of money calling a straight draw and 90% of the time i did not hit it. is folding the right play?
Hi and welcome .
You will find a lot of help here with poker , and if it is ok with you I am going to see if we can have your question moved to the right thread / topic to get your question answered.
You posted this in the Introductions ... so I am sure if your question is in the right topic , you will get lots of replies :)

yes, I would do the betting if I had a strait to :)

A

a7aimamajalal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi and welcome .
You will find a lot of help here with poker , and if it is ok with you I am going to see if we can have your question moved to the right thread / topic to get your question answered.
You posted this in the Introductions ... so I am sure if your question is in the right topic , you will get lots of replies :)

yes, I would do the betting if I had a strait to :)

Thanks dude and im new so i didnot know that it was in the introduction section thanks again

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to cardschat. It is a good question. It depends on a lot of variables.
What kind of straight draw?
What are the size of the stacks.
Do you have over cards that are live?
What type of player you are playing?
Are you in position to possibly steal the pot on a missed draw on a later street?
is the board paired?
there are always a lot of things to consider when making these decisions.

Good luck to you

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a straight draw on the flop and no flush draw on the table, I would re-raise the opponent's continuation bet to all-in as a semi-bluff.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a few ways to look at what you can do. You can use just plain old pot odds to see if calling is a profitable decision in the long term, best done if stacks are deep enough.

Like was already mentioned you can reraise, usually if the opponent has a large cbet frequency, and the board doesn't hit their range too well I'd go for it (though I wouldn't go all in like was mentioned unless you're short stacked)

You can use implied odds as well, but those can be very tough to estimate and depend on opponent tendencies a lot. Implied odds answer the question how much do I expect the opponent will pay me by the river given different situations.

You can also count cards that you know will make great bluffs, as outs for determining drawing odds :). Ie: scare cards that make paired boards or flush boards or an extra card to your potential straight. If you know your opponent has tendencies to be cautious on boards like that you should definitely include those in your odds. Just be mindful/careful of your opponent's ranges if you do this as those cards can strengthen their hands too.

For now I would begin by learning pot odds and drawing odds and how you should use that to decide if you should call. Also, generally avoid calling over 66% pot size bets for draws unless you have a plan for later streets.

Last edited:
Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can try raising some strong straight draws. This way you would get some folds when they have a weak pair that beats you or you get more money when you hit

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are lots of factors to consider here. Some of them are:

1) What are the pot odds ?

2) What are the stack sizes ? If your stacks are large compared to the bet size, your implied odds may justify the call or raise since you could potentially win a lot more chips.

3) Is it an opened end straight draw or a gut shot ? For OESD, you are about 16% to hit the straight on the next card. For a gut shot, you are only 8%.

4) How concealed is your straight draw ? If you are only using 1 hole card, then the board will look a lot more dangerous for your opponent if you hit your straight.

5) Do you have any other potential outs ? For example, if the board has 98 and you have TJ, then a T or J would give you top pair, which might also give you a winning hand. Don't forget to consider reverse implied odds though !

6) Are you considering making a bluff if you miss your draw ?

Depending on these factors and many others, you can make a case for a fold, raise or call.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends,but if you want concrete answer to your question yes you should fold.It will save you money in most of the cases and in case when you do hit that straight there is no guarantee that you will win the money you previously invested.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends,but if you want concrete answer to your question yes you should fold.It will save you money in most of the cases and in case when you do hit that straight there is no guarantee that you will win the money you previously invested.

@OP I agree, if you're just starting out this is the safe thing to do. In general the less experienced you are the earlier you want to end the action. If you notice your opponent tries to exploit your always folding on a flush or straight draw (coordinated/wet) board though, then you will have to mix in some calls or else they will use your overfolding as an opportunity to win those pots with bluffs.

If opponent minbets though and you have a full stack, you should absolutely always call with a draw, your drawing odds in that case are so much better than the pot odds (and the bet is so small relative to your stack), that if you keep calling you will hit a straight or flush long before your stack bleeds dry (and you will win more than you had to pay). However if your stack is short there is a bigger chance that if you keep calling a bet with a drawing hand you will run out of chips before you get a chance to see that straight/flush.

I strongly suggest you learn pot odds and drawing odds, and what stack sizes to play flush/straight types of hands with vs. when to focus more on playing broadways.

Last edited:
bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends a lot on the straight draw - you probably want to lay down gutshots. Open ended straight draws particularly if you have overcards have a lot of equity and usually, unless they have bet full pot, I'm calling or semi-bluff raising. I would learn to calculate pot odds and the rule of 2 and 4 to see if you are getting the right price to call.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a straight draw on the flop and no flush draw on the table, I would re-raise the opponent's continuation bet to all-in as a semi-bluff.

Re-raise/call would be perfectly fine with no flush draw. You have two chances to hit the nuts. Depending on the flop bet too. The goal is to take down huge pots, and a straight draw can do that.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I also have problem witht the straight draws . I prefer it when I have overcards or sth more (maybe a rare additional flush draw , LOL ) , I feel I have more options then and more safe to go on on this hand . I have lost a lot by just calling until the river ,so I prefer to go on until the turn only , unless I have a plan for the specific flop texture and opponent ,and I have more options to choose on the flop or (rarelly) a bluff/semi bluff on the flop/turn --- mmmm... which unfortunatelly doesn't work well for me most of the times :(.

Some good answers to this problem that I read in this thread to get some help , thank you :)

T

TheShark77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

First of all you an open ended straight draw on the flop is at least a call unless we are talking about extreme situations (overbets, etc.).
You should be more inclined to call In Position because if you'll hit you draw you can extract much more value out of it.
If there is a flush draw on the board you can use the flush outs as good scare cards to bluff on, which will give your "extra" outs. Just be careful if your opponent bets on those cards :)
If you have a straight draw with overcards you can definitely raise instead of just calling. Also, versus "easily scared" villains you can even just raise a gut shot or a normal straight draws, and put more pressure on the Turn if they call your raise.
As a final note, I practiced a lot using an App called Poker Fighter which really helped me understand in what situations I should apply more aggression, when should I just call, and when should I just let go of my hand. I recommend you to do the same.

25thinfantryman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no dont continuation bet on straight draw, u might not hit... then ur out all those chips unless you bluff a all in

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I don't think too much about it, if poker pros would call an all in with straight draw so will I, with bubble as an exception in my case. 90% in your case sounds like too much, you must have been on a really bad run or something

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, you should not call a straight draw at the maximum rate. As a rule, those chances that may be in reality do not come. This applies to all online poker rooms. Most likely this is how the program is configured. At the minimum rate, the stake is required at 100%. Much depends on what stage of the tournament we are in and based on the situation we choose our range.