Should i always shove preflop with AA or slowplay?

J

j9944

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
In past I've shoved with AA to get beaten with Q/K ragg, is this just a bad beat?

Am I best slow playing and seeing a flop then making a move?

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Just normal bet it like you would any other good hand and go from there?

Shoving any hand pre flop is a bad play in general, unless you are really short stack in tournament.

emk211

emk211

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
not enough information...generally, it is a reason to call and make a 3 bet, freeroll with 5000 players, shove it...

emk211

emk211

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
and I wish people that asked these questions would be more specific about the situation, poker has so many variances and you can not just make blanket answers for any cards...

J

j9944

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
The situation for me was , I was on the button everyone apart from the sb/bb had folded so I was acting aggressor and shoved preflop to avoid a flop, sb folds and bb instacalls with Q9 off suit, flop comes Q23,K,9. I thought I done everything right with shoving but I play alot of pub games and it's like bingo halls in there.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The situation for me was , I was on the button everyone apart from the sb/bb had folded so I was acting aggressor and shoved preflop to avoid a flop, sb folds and bb instacalls with Q9 off suit, flop comes Q23,K,9. I thought I done everything right with shoving but I play alot of pub games and it's like bingo halls in there.
Here are a couple of thoughts on your thread and the above post…

Firstly, you never want to do anythingalways’ at the poker table. If you always do the same thing, you become entirely predictable. It’s a good idea to mix up your plays and do different things in the same situations to hide your strength/weakness.

Secondly, with AA you have the preflop nuts - the best hand possible. If you try to shutdown the hand preflop (to avoid a flop), just to take the blinds and antes, you are mostly shooting yourself in the foot and denying yourself profitability.

While it is true that it’s ‘better to win a small pot than lose a big one’, when Texas Dolly said that I don’t think he necessarily meant ‘be happy with winning purely the blinds and antes when waking up with aces’… ;)(y)

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Playing AA as a shove should be avoided as much as possible, as you take away your opponent's chance to bluff or have a game that he thinks is good. You should keep the same pace as you would with any bet with other cards: analyze the position, stack, and condition of your opponents. Of course, if you have few blinds, you're more likely to shove.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No, for example, in a blind vs. blind situation you can limp with aces sometimes, because that way it will be more difficult for your opponent to exploit you. One option is to randomize your decisions. For example, you can use a random number generator and pick a number from 1 to 100 and act according to your defined frequency. You can also use GTO recommended frequencies. But a few notes: (1) In micro-stakes, you should take your decisions based on your observations at the table, because in general your opponents will have leaks to be exploited; (2) I don't think it is good to limp with aces if you are the first to act, specially if you almost never open-limp; you may define frequencies to call a raise sometimes, but open-limping is not good.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if the number of players is very large, just make all the chips move to the middle and someone will call and level your bet, and of course play this hand as usual 2 or 2.5 3 bb raise then you can call 4 or 5bb and play as you like in situations

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't slow play aces for the most part but there are time when I do. If there is a very aggressive player behind me, I will trap him to bet instead of his folding to my 3 bet, If short stacked I am also willing to call with them to have a better chance of getting the other player all in on the flop. Its really player and size dependent but again not something I do as often.

As to the question is it a bad beat VS KQ or K rag, yes it is.

Gian Totaro

Gian Totaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It always depends on how the hand goes... but you can calmly make a small raise such as 2BB or a strong bet such as 4.4BB. What's more, you can also try to catch the other and clean.

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi Guys!

As we know it is one of the best starting hands in poker. How you play this hand can have a significant impact on the outcome of the game. Here are some strategies I use to make the most of the aces' potential:

Raise preflop: With a pair of AA, it is essential to raise preflop to isolate opponents and build the pot. You want to make entry into the pot more expensive for opponents with weaker hands, thus minimizing the risk of being outmatched by lower-value cards.

Control the size of the pot: On the flop and on subsequent streets, control the size of the pot strategically. Unless you have a clear read that you're ahead, avoid making overly large bets that could drive opponents away. Instead, make moderate bets to keep players in the hand and build up the pot gradually.

Consider the flop texture: Analyze the flop texture and take into account any possible combinations of hands your opponents may have. If the flop is very coordinated and there is a possibility of a flush or a straight, you might consider betting more aggressively to protect your pocket aces.

Take Opponent Readings: Observe your opponents' actions and betting patterns to identify possible strong or weak hands. If an opponent is showing strength, it may be necessary to raise to maximize the value of your hand. If they are acting weak, you can opt for smaller bets to keep them in the hand and extract more value.

Be prepared to fold if necessary: While AA pair is a strong hand, there are times when you will need to consider the possibility that your opponents may have better hands. If you face a lot of resistance or feel that you are clearly behind, be prepared to fold the hand. Quitting is an important part of the game and can help minimize losses in unfavorable situations.

GL

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shoving preflop is a bad idea because you're unlikely to get someone to call you, it's better to raise and shove if someone raises or wait for villain to hit pair on the flop and try to get maximum value, the best practice would be playing aggressively and not shoving preflop and remember it's all relative to the game you're playing and the situation you're in

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
shove ???!!! with AA ...uau ...I never play them like this :) , I usually bet a little bigger then usually , like 4-5 BB or a big reraise , if is the case , but I never shove aces :)