The short stack game

webwiser

webwiser

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who hasn't lost a hand with AA right at the start of a poker tournament?
Who ever broke villain's AA or KK with a marginal hand like 89s?
At the beginning of the tournament we are very deep, we have a lot of chips, which allows us to play certain spots with more marginal hands. When we have a lot of chips, 100 BBS or more, we can play in search of the nutz game. But, in tournaments, the fact is that most of the time we are short stacked, we have few chips, and the game ends up being resolved pre-flop. We can consider that when we are short stack we need to adopt the strategy of playing looking not to hit the nuts games, we don't have chips to develop well post flop. We need to give more importance to top pairs, hands with blockers, hands with the ability to hit top pairs.

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play push-fold with a short stack, otherwise there is no way, it would be nice to have a strong starting hand 🙂

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I do consider also the time of the blinds level, if I play a turbo mtt, I open my range to medium suited connectors like 98s 87s they play well post flop and they have some equity.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
It is not my style of play, I prefer to be more moderate at the beginning, collect a lot of chips to have control of the table and play aggressive with weak opponents.

A2020

A2020

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well it's not that...
most of the time we are short stacked
...playing good hands at the start when I find that a lot of players make mistakes at least at the low levels I play I usually get into a good position with 3 or 4 times starting stack, sometimes even more.
From there as @Acechador mentions, try to take control of the table and profit from playing good hands with the help of a good flop.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
yep, my style of play I find I am short stackedand have to resort to an all in or fold style of play.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If to say honestly and directly: play with a short stack this is a play in a coin: this means, as luck...
Because the blinds are growing up, stack is melting, and if, as specially, not coming to You the good cards...

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you just play push fold and everything is easy, no?

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Sometimes a short stack can be an advantage. And since you will find yourself in this situation often, the ability to play with a short stack is simply a necessary skill to maximize profits in poker. You just need to adapt your game to new conditions and act differently than when playing with a large or medium stack. When There is one important rule of any short stack strategy - you need to reduce the number of starting hands played. If no one has entered the game before you, you should raise with these cards. Raising preflop is better than limping with any stacks. But this is even more relevant with a short stack. You simply cannot afford to limp in and fold without hitting the flop. This will cost you a significant portion of the stack.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a great pity that there is no one to talk about the know-how at the start of the tournament.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I'm a short stack in a tournament, I usually try to wait for a good hand pre flop and push all in and also I always use a lot of my position.

A

Armandomza

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
SHORTSTACK, at early level, you end up in that condition, for just playing marginal hands, and they discover the bluff. That's why I always choose to only play decent hands, unless I identify the weak player.

Top 10 Games