Short stack Any Pair vs Ax

M

Mike D_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you prefer guys to push with when short stacked: with first pocket pair you get or Ax? A simulation of hold'em shows that you can get a pocket pair once in 11 hands (average for 2 millions starting hands). Do you wait or push with any decent 2 cards?

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the question is reduced to which would I rather push with, AX or pair, then I will typically go with the percentages--pocket pair. Still, I get your point, as I am not ever real confident going all in with small pocket pairs UTG, or any early position, really, even on the short stack. You are definitely hurting if a larger pocket pair comes in, and you realize you are a 4-1 dog.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing Push has pocket pairs better from 99 and older. From 22 to 55 it's better to just fold if there was a big raise, you can call a small raise and wait for the desired card on the flop

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you prefer guys to push with when short stacked: with first pocket pair you get or Ax? A simulation of hold'em shows that you can get a pocket pair once in 11 hands (average for 2 millions starting hands). Do you wait or push with any decent 2 cards?

When I am short stacked, I personally try to wait for both any Ax and pocket pairs.

However if I had a choice to choose between Ax and pocket pairs, I probably choose the pocket pair simply because it has slight advantage to win.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a lot of cases, the cards in your hand are less important than your position, stack size, reads and overall tournament situation.

I might be happy to push Q9 from the cutoff in a hand that's been folded around to me, but want to fold A9 or 33 from UTG at that same table, for example. I'll shove wider if there's other short stacks in the blinds who are just hanging on for the bubble to burst, and shove narrower if it's a big stack who's happy to gamble with people.

G

GottaBust

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving small pocket pairs

Shoving small pocket pairs even when folded to in late position has never really worked for me. I lose almost every time someone calls with two over cards. Either they hit or the board pairs twice and my pair is irrelevant hahah. For me I'd rather shove A5 then 22.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a lot of cases, the cards in your hand are less important than your position, stack size, reads and overall tournament situation.

I might be happy to push Q9 from the cutoff in a hand that's been folded around to me, but want to fold A9 or 33 from UTG at that same table, for example. I'll shove wider if there's other short stacks in the blinds who are just hanging on for the bubble to burst, and shove narrower if it's a big stack who's happy to gamble with people.
This.