Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, there are no secrets.
There are two key components :
1. Patience.
2. Discipline.
If you have these two factors, and you play a lot of freerolls, you will definitely make money in the future.
I Agree with you

DvAces

DvAces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Due to the large number of players entering and most of the time a small in the money% I think patience and large sample size (i.o. lots of freerolls) is the most important thing. If you play solid enough you will finish high in the long run.

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight and in position until the end of late reg - once that comes you can loosen up about a level or two after that. Just be prepared for people to bluff more with air and a lot of calling stations. So don't bluff until you're deep.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

Can any of you share your insight on how to got to the money in free rolls? I've done a few so far and it seems incredibly random. Regular play does not seem to work so well when there are so many players who shove all in constantly. Also playing strong cards can backfire too on the river. Was lucky to survive a 4 way pot with my AA but I can see that going wrong...

So, any secrets or it's just play strong cards, never bluff and fingers crossed?

Thanks guys!

Indeed it does go wrong every now and then, that's variance. Indeed a lot of players in your average freeroll don't play very well (CC freeroll club is a different story tho, that proceeds pretty normally). So that should increase the edge that you have to win it, but you need to adapt your pay a bit.

The best concrete tips I can give you for now are:
1. Make sure your fundamentals are in order. For example calculating Pot odds & equity and knowing your opening ranges. If you got trouble with this there are plenty of people here who like to give you some advice. Feel free to send me a pm as well tho ^^
2. Most of the people in these freerolls have some extreme tendencies and habits. Try to see what they are and exploit them. Are they calling way more then they should? Don't try to bluff them, but instead bet more for value. Are they extremely tight? Try to open more pots against them and be cautious when they resist you.
3. And a general rule for low level freerolls: 3-bets preflop are not common at all, so be cautious when you see one. Most of the time it's a pretty good hand. However be carefull with this, since it depends on the opponents and it is a lot more common in tournaments with a buy-in.

Hope it helps a bit and if you need some extra advice/tips feel free to ask any of us :D

Good luck!

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play a lot of freerolls your going to win eventually. You will wake up one day, everything will be brighter. All of your cards will be monsters. At the final table all will fold in fear. This will be your day.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If someone shares his secrets its ceases to be a secret anymore! ....and loses relevance in the game against those who know it. So, dont believe in every secret you read or hear. :top:
it's a good point :D:D:D:D:D:D

Robmrjet

Robmrjet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Download 4 poker sites..........
enter EVERY single freeroll that comes up........
go ALL-IN first hand in every single one of them.........
go ALL-IN 2nd hand in every single one of them you are still in......
go ALL-IN 3rd hand in every single one of them you are still in...........
go ALL-IN 4th hand in every single one of them you are still in................

repeatedly sign up for EVERY single freeroll that pops up on those 4 sites while performing the above process..... :joyman:

THE VERY MOMENT...you find yourself overwhelming chip leader by 100 to 1 in ANY of the freerolls........call ONLY min call, min bets, min raises, to see the flop........FOLD EVERY HAND you don't have the nuts on after the flop. :bebored:

Really....it's quite easy to win a freeroll. :icon_chee

IF....you're in the freeroll winning business. :rolleyes:

Seriously it is. :rock:
You just have to enter a million or so of them.....and play the one where you're gauranteed final table 1/2 way before first break just sitting there waiting on pocket Aces for the rest of the game...... because you followed the prescribed above formula for winning freerolls.

WARNING.....
you may get called a lot of names, get a lot of notes put on you, your stats brought up at the table and poked fun at.....:albertein

But it's all worth it....
when you knock those folks out with a cool pocket 7 3 offsuit call against 8 callers with AK or better. :bandit:

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Be patient.
I play better when I have multiple table opened.
Some freeroll can be so long so by doing that, I avoid to be bored.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Download 4 poker sites..........
enter EVERY single freeroll that comes up........
go ALL-IN first hand in every single one of them.........
go ALL-IN 2nd hand in every single one of them you are still in......
go ALL-IN 3rd hand in every single one of them you are still in...........
go ALL-IN 4th hand in every single one of them you are still in................

repeatedly sign up for EVERY single freeroll that pops up on those 4 sites while performing the above process..... :joyman:

THE VERY MOMENT...you find yourself overwhelming chip leader by 100 to 1 in ANY of the freerolls........call ONLY min call, min bets, min raises, to see the flop........FOLD EVERY HAND you don't have the nuts on after the flop. :bebored:

Really....it's quite easy to win a freeroll. :icon_chee

IF....you're in the freeroll winning business. :rolleyes:

Seriously it is. :rock:
You just have to enter a million or so of them.....and play the one where you're gauranteed final table 1/2 way before first break just sitting there waiting on pocket Aces for the rest of the game...... because you followed the prescribed above formula for winning freerolls.

WARNING.....
you may get called a lot of names, get a lot of notes put on you, your stats brought up at the table and poked fun at.....:albertein

But it's all worth it....
when you knock those folks out with a cool pocket 7 3 offsuit call against 8 callers with AK or better. :bandit:
OR: play good poker, watch the opponent with the big stack and take em away in any given situation...:confused:

Robmrjet

Robmrjet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
OR: play good poker, watch the opponent with the big stack and take em away in any given situation...:confused:

They don't play good poker in freerolls. :listen:

just say'n...:goodnight

Anjo

Anjo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really enjoy playing freerolls.
I can not say how to win them because I have not won any yet.
I can only give you some tips on how to get close.
Sometimes these tips can fail of course, but it does not hurt to try to put them into practice.

1 - Do not take unnecessary risks.
2 - Bet only when you realize you have a good chance of winning.
3 - Understand the bet of your opponents.
4 - Realizing that you will win the hand, enjoy it and go all in.
5 - Try to build a stack gradually.
6 - Do not get carried away with a pre-flop.

Good game!

vavilen_

vavilen_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I this year on freerolls won tickets totaling $ 1200! rule first is not bluffing! we concede a lot, but if we have a hand we play very aggressively, we are not afraid that our opponents will fold their hands, they draw their hands completely without knowing what the chances of the bank are! early stage we play push fold AQo + TT + all the rest in the pass until we double! All the pockets on the set did not even get on the chance to play aggressively did not get thrown out! play tight-aggressive! good luck!

Robmrjet

Robmrjet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I this year on freerolls won tickets totaling $ 1200! rule first is not bluffing! we concede a lot, but if we have a hand we play very aggressively, we are not afraid that our opponents will fold their hands, they draw their hands completely without knowing what the chances of the bank are! early stage we play push fold AQo + TT + all the rest in the pass until we double! All the pockets on the set did not even get on the chance to play aggressively did not get thrown out! play tight-aggressive! good luck!

"I this year on freerolls won tickets totaling $ 1200! "

You can't spend those tickets anywhere in life except in a poker room.
How much cash did you make converting those tickets into real money?

just curoious...:turtle:

Last edited:
vavilen_

vavilen_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
t's expensive tournaments for $ 215 at $ 30 for $ 50

D

daniel1990xd

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
there are no secrets is to try to play as best as possible and wait for the cards to be on our side in a freeroll tube bad luck had 8bb falls AJ I go all in from middle position someone resumed all in when the cards open the villain was 53 and in the flop gives him the 5 is just bad luck and already

M

Malette82

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never been able to be a consistent placer in freerolls the wide range of players from fish to strong players it's hard to do. If you can learn 1 thing new I'd say the trny is a success

C

Chewfulitsch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed it does go wrong every now and then, that's variance. Indeed a lot of players in your average freeroll don't play very well (CC freeroll club is a different story tho, that proceeds pretty normally). So that should increase the edge that you have to win it, but you need to adapt your pay a bit.

The best concrete tips I can give you for now are:
1. Make sure your fundamentals are in order. For example calculating Pot odds & equity and knowing your opening ranges. If you got trouble with this there are plenty of people here who like to give you some advice. Feel free to send me a pm as well tho ^^
2. Most of the people in these freerolls have some extreme tendencies and habits. Try to see what they are and exploit them. Are they calling way more then they should? Don't try to bluff them, but instead bet more for value. Are they extremely tight? Try to open more pots against them and be cautious when they resist you.
3. And a general rule for low level freerolls: 3-bets preflop are not common at all, so be cautious when you see one. Most of the time it's a pretty good hand. However be carefull with this, since it depends on the opponents and it is a lot more common in tournaments with a buy-in.

Hope it helps a bit and if you need some extra advice/tips feel free to ask any of us :D

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! I'm going through Harrington's Hold'em and seems that sound poker concepts are becoming clearer. I've been burned so many times when I thought I had good cards that I'm playing scared now. Any raise is enough to push me off the pot. I keep telling myself that it doesn't matter if I lose, as long as I'm playing correctly, so that helps with the bad beats. Thanks all for replies, it helps!

R

Riversalmon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for a pair or suited connectors and try to double up to give you an edge on your opponent's later in the tournament

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience and play good cards.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I always hope for some lady luck. Tonight I placed fourth, with lady luck helping me several times against over pairs, and my 3 of a kind coming just in the nick of time.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play freerolls as well as cash tournaments. The only difference is that there are more allins. Since there are a lot of fish, this should be taken into account when raising before the flop. At the end of the tournament, the game looks more like a cash tournament.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically, the same technics, as in tournaments with buy-in, adjusted a little bit in direction ABC-poker, as the most players play just their cards and board, you don't really have to become "artistic" or using GTO concepts even can harm you. But still having in mind ICM concepts though. Straight forward poker is more effective in em, IMHO.

Make good bets against passive fish or if they make "post-oak bluffs" you may call a lot of time with good chances to make your Straights or Flush.

Against Aggro-Fish, let them bluff, check-calling monster hands till river and then check-raise. Or just get away from their way without real strength.

Also, don't forget to exploit any their tendencies and the bad freeroll players have too many leaks in their play. Steal their blinds, if they tend to fold PF too much. Do more re-steal, if they tend to steal too much. Re-raise their CBets, if they tend to CBet too much, or just use any good spot for bluff. Because bad players very often tend to put you on nuts, if board looks too scary. One good bet on a river takes a lot of pots.
Well, it depends of course on the player type. Some fish are calling even with the lowest pair.