W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I see so many posts about studying the game of poker and places to learn more of the game, what books to read and what videos to watch.

I think I am a bit of an odd duck. I am a self taught (for the most part) poker player. Other than going online to figure out the odd thing I have done wrong in the past, I have never read a book, studied the game online or watched videos. I know Cardschat has incredible learning tools to help people out (my wife used them to get herself started in poker), but I am actually scared to study the game too much. I think part of what makes me a good player is that I don't always do what is expected with the cards I have? My game is decent to good and I fear I will end up changing my game too much by "studying" the game or reading books/watching videos.

What's your thoughts on this?

Anyone else self taught and wondering the same thing?

Has anyones game changed for the worse after studying the game?

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Studying and all that is useful if playing is your day job and you play a lot.

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is necessary to study and practice, otherwise you will not become a professional.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I see so many posts about studying the game of poker and places to learn more of the game, what books to read and what videos to watch.

I think I am a bit of an odd duck. I am a self taught (for the most part) poker player. Other than going online to figure out the odd thing I have done wrong in the past, I have never read a book, studied the game online or watched videos. I know Cardschat has incredible learning tools to help people out (my wife used them to get herself started in poker), but I am actually scared to study the game too much. I think part of what makes me a good player is that I don't always do what is expected with the cards I have? My game is decent to good and I fear I will end up changing my game too much by "studying" the game or reading books/watching videos.

What's your thoughts on this?

Anyone else self taught and wondering the same thing?

Has anyones game changed for the worse after studying the game?

I have seen folks who do some reading or watch a video & totally misunderstand the point of the article & start making really bad mistakes, but in most endeavors gaining knowledge is a good thing. If you are consistently successful at poker you are learning while playing & if it's working for you keep on keeping on, but don't think you aren't learning.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a decent ROI then you are good, but you always need to study your opponents as they change a lot.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with everything in moderation, including studying. I always find my game goes to pot whenever I try to apply something I’ve just studied. Once the new material is properly buried in the remote recesses of my mind it then becomes useful to be drawn upon as required.

I’ve learned some good basics from studying. I’ve also learned that some of the things I’ve studied just don’t work for me and I rarely use those skills.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
the truth of the matter is that even I haven’t done that, but Cardschat has taught me a lot via the posts and comments.
That’s a great learning.

Thanks to Cardschat I have improved my game a lot.