River Play (NLHE) and Esp PLO

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greetings Chatters, and any ex-railbirds who might pass by and read this nonsense ;) beep beep and a zaaap to ya from 23---418.

I'm back on the tables after a few years away...currently getting my game together again on the PS play chip tables before venturing onto the cash tables. So far, boosted my playchip br. from 160k to 18 million, playing 8game and nlhe tourneys in the last 3 weeks. Scored a couple of 1st places and a fair share of ft's.

So...River play.

I have unnecessarily lost a lot of chips on the river..esp in plo..but also in nlhe.. through bad play on my part. I have failed in this regard through not remembering a well extablished poker maxim..." what will call me here if I bet / raise? a worse hand..??...maybe not.

Yup...I have bet / raised with a (very?) good hand, but obviously, in hindsight, the 2nd best hand.

Say in nlhe I make 2 pair /set / trips / straight on the flop / turn...and the river, and the river fills the (better) straight, flush or (better) boat, I have occasionally bet out or raised the river, only to be snap called or re-raised.
I have even called a river re-raise in PLO not holding the nuts...stupid play in the long ..or even short term..lol..

message to self...engage brain fully before engaging mouse.

The river is possibly the most relatively expensive hand to play, ( all-ins before this street excepted of course) esp if one's tourney life is on the line...but a minimum loss can be maintained if one doesn't get ' greedy'... and reads the board correctly and accurately... and minimising one's losses is just as important as maximising one's winnings.

I am sure many of you are better poker players than me...and naturally any thoughts, shared experiences would be most welcome.

May the farce be with ya all

23 :)