River Betting (Day 12 Course Discussion)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quiz answer is NO. It's not likely that a worse hand is going to call and not a lot of better hands will fold, I doubt there are many Jacks or Nines out there but marginal hands like an 8, 4 or some small PP are likely to call with their bluff catchers.

Great video, this is the best one so far!

Awesome, so glad you liked it! :)

SeniorTurtle

SeniorTurtle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
should I have bet more on the river for value?

I'm in the process of putting the lessons of the course into practice. Here's a hand I recently played. Should I have bet more on the river, like closer to the full pot, or even going all-in at the river?
[FONT=Lato, sans-serif]
[/FONT]Online Freeroll - Holdem - 8 players
Early-stage of the freeroll
UTG: 48 BB
MP: 47 BB
LO: 60 BB
HJ: 66 BB (Villain)
CO: 47 BB
BTN: 47 BB
SB: 48 BB
BB: 33 BB (Hero)

SB posts SB 0.5BB, BB posts 1BB

Pre Flop:(pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q8
Everyone folds to HJ (Villain) who limps, fold, fold, fold, BB (Hero) checks

Flop:(2.5BB, 2 players) A 3 6
BB (Hero) bets 2.5BB, HJ (Villain) calls

Turn:(7.5BB, 2 players) 4
BB (Hero) checks, HJ (Villain) bets 3.75BB, Hero calls

River:(15 BB, 2 players) T
BB (Hero) bets 7.5BB
HJ (Villain) calls
Villain has A8
Hero wins the pot with a flush

Looking forward to your thoughts as to how I could have played this hand better. Did I extract the most value, or was there some more juice left to squeeze?

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey bro, all right?
I hope so.
See, I believe you played your hand up the turn very well, kept control of the pot, however when you hit your flush, you could have extracted enough chips from the villain, maybe if you had applied an over bet, it would be the best move, probably he would not let go of the hand thinking that you could be bluffing.

Good luck at the tables!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in the process of putting the lessons of the course into practice. Here's a hand I recently played. Should I have bet more on the river, like closer to the full pot, or even going all-in at the river?
[FONT=Lato, sans-serif]
[/FONT]Online Freeroll - Holdem - 8 players
Early-stage of the freeroll
UTG: 48 BB
MP: 47 BB
LO: 60 BB
HJ: 66 BB (Villain)
CO: 47 BB
BTN: 47 BB
SB: 48 BB
BB: 33 BB (Hero)

SB posts SB 0.5BB, BB posts 1BB

Pre Flop:(pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q[emoji813]8[emoji813]
Everyone folds to HJ (Villain) who limps, fold, fold, fold, BB (Hero) checks

Flop:(2.5BB, 2 players) A[emoji813] 3[emoji812] 6[emoji813]
BB (Hero) bets 2.5BB, HJ (Villain) calls

Turn:(7.5BB, 2 players) 4[emoji814]
BB (Hero) checks, HJ (Villain) bets 3.75BB, Hero calls

River:(15 BB, 2 players) T[emoji813]
BB (Hero) bets 7.5BB
HJ (Villain) calls
Villain has A[emoji815]8[emoji814]
Hero wins the pot with a flush

Looking forward to your thoughts as to how I could have played this hand better. Did I extract the most value, or was there some more juice left to squeeze?

I think you played this hand very reasonably, but with the strength of our hand I would personally suggest overbet shoving the river. While of course it will likely cross our opponent’s mind that we could have a flush, it will look more “bluffy” if we shove. Our opponent’s range isn’t particularly strong here (which favors a smaller bet) but since we’re essentially hoping for a hero call, I think we can extract more value in the long run by overbet shoving which will I believe induce more hero calls from a player that is most likely to call to frequently (based on the late position limp pre-flop).

SeniorTurtle

SeniorTurtle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played this hand very reasonably, but with the strength of our hand I would personally suggest overbet shoving the river. While of course it will likely cross our opponent’s mind that we could have a flush, it will look more “bluffy” if we shove. Our opponent’s range isn’t particularly strong here (which favors a smaller bet) but since we’re essentially hoping for a hero call, I think we can extract more value in the long run by overbet shoving which will I believe induce more hero calls from a player that is most likely to call to frequently (based on the late position limp pre-flop).

Katie thank you very much for your detailed response to this question. I really appreciate that both you and Collin take an active part in these forum discussions. It makes the whole process of learning so much easier knowing that there is a place to ask questions and resolve any ambiguities during the learning process. It makes the whole process of learn, apply, review and hopefully improve go much smoother since one is not learning in a vacuum. I'm sure I'll have more questions going forward on my journey to playing better poker as I try to internalize the material presented in this course.

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have learned to think more about what good hands I can get to fold and what worse hands I can get to call.

I already did this in my game but often I can bluff in the wrong spots and sometimes I dont think about the board enough.

Good lesson thanks

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually don't let anyone see the river unless we are already all in. If your hand is not strong enough on the flop to call for all of Villain's chips, it is preferable to fold the hand.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually don't let anyone see the river unless we are already all in. If your hand is not strong enough on the flop to call for all of Villain's chips, it is preferable to fold the hand.

Don't be so agressive, if you don't want to let the villain see the river and are behind, u will lose a lot of times, like this and the lessons before taught, there are a lot of situations that our hand isn't strong enough before river but we have something to do, instead of just fold.
In the example of the video, the hand that hero holds 99, if you bet hard to villain don't see the river, he just fold and you don't gain his chips.

Last edited:
barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Another solid lesson today. I knew about protection betting, but I learned the connotationally-speaking difference between this and an Equity Denial Bet. I thought they were always the same thing, but now I know that Equity Denial Betting is more to get "any two random cards" to fold (since they still have decent equity against us) and protection betting is more guarding against specifics (like draws or overcards).
For some reason, it seems to me that you have the most balanced assessment. Since it is still difficult for me personally to draw conclusions from this lesson.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 12: Ask Yourself This Question Every Time you Bet the River

What I gathered from past videos in the series is you value bet the river when you think you have the best hand but you don't bet the river when you have some type of showdown value.

Video Tidbits:
Slide:
If I bet or raise, what better hands will fold?
If I bet or raise, what worse hands will call?

You need experience with flops like being able to read a board and putting folks on a range by what they're playing and showing down with to get this lesson. This stuff with you having any 2 cards and you don't look at a flop might make this lesson seem like Charlie Brown's teacher saying "Waaa wwaaa waaaaaaa", lol.

Collin says "You bet to get worse hands to call (ie a value bet) and you bet the river to get better hands to fold (ie a bluff)". I got it.

equity Denial Bet- "Betting with the purpose of getting a worse hand to fold".
So your "Equity" is the possession of a pot shown by the odds of you winning the pot like the percentages on TV during a poker hand. In the example you have 33 with a flop of T 8 2 rainbow. Its a hypothetical, so lets ASSUME you're in the SB with 33 and the BB has any two random cards which are over 33 and that's reasonable.

Collin pulls up Equilab to get an idea of players "equity" in the pot and throws in Q7 which gives you the hero with 33 a 72% of winning the pot vs 28% odds for villain. The important part is your opponent has a percentage of the pot with RANDOM CARDS so they have a chance to win but you bet to get them to fold that "equity" in the pot and that's what an Equity Denial Bet is.

A Bet for Protection is another bet that denies a straight or flush draw.

In stud variations I can really see this concept in action because you can see opponents cards but it would be a lot harder in holdem or omaha unless you could put them in a range from watching previous hands and how they play and/or like in the example of holding 33

Collin emphasizes opponents combined equity is something to be aware of in the 73 example. We can play around with the odds calculator at Cardschat to get a better of understanding of this by plugging in villains hands or even adding more villains into the hand to see our equity go down.

The thinking Collin demonstrates while going over the hands is what everyone should be doing during a hand. The first five minutes of the video goes over Equity denial and it can be a little over whelming but then he spends like 10+ mins going over examples and it goes fast.

For the review question I just said the hand had showdown value so just check it. but the real question is why doesn't the AQ raise preflop? But its just a hypothetical to highlight a point so that doesn't matter, lol.
Ebook Tidbits.

"Equity Denial Bet: A bet to get worse hands to fold, because those worse hands still have descent equity against us."

The ebook emphasizes Harrington "If I bet or raise here, what better hands will fold, and what worse hands will call?" The 83 example highlights the concept.

And we're done. I need to study river play some more but I understand what's going on here or I think I do, lol. Another good lesson.

Need to do 10 and 11 to finish off the 2nd week.

Key Take Away is I want to work on my post flop game after finishing this course.

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Border situation

Awesome lesson, I have a question about river betting, there is an idea, when you bet, to give the odds to villain to call, so you maximize your income. For example, you hit A on the river, which makes you top pair, with K top kicker. You know from the bets that villain had a strong hand, but there is no draws. He could have of course a set. So if you bet, he will fold worse hands, but call better hands, so sets. So if I bet enough so I give him the odds for worse hands to call, for example he may hit J , and makes JJ , betting 33% should give him the odds, as it's 1.3/0.3 -> 4 - 1 . He is more likely to get a pair than a set, so for us betting may be befenic on the long run. On the other hand, checking would be the same as folding when he has a pair, as he may be afraid of a check raise when we re out of position, and when we are on position, well the result is the same as we would check after him. What do you think of this situation?

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Finished day 12...18 to go

Really nice lesson this one. I tend to bet a lot more the river when i am facing just one opponent, but i have a question about Collins first example. If instead of 73o i would have AKo or AKs, would you guys bet on that river?

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really nice lesson this one. I tend to bet a lot more the river when i am facing just one opponent, but i have a question about Collins first example. If instead of 73o i would have AKo or AKs, would you guys bet on that river?
I think that you can't bet to protect your hand here, you still may have the better hand, with A high, so if you bet, it will be a value bet, but better hands, like 45 or 56 will call. While worse hands would fold. You still have a draw with the A so it could be also a semi bluff bet. You have more reasons to bet with an A than to do not. I would bet not much, to value my high card and semi bluff. If the opponent raises I would fold, unless he raises not much, 33% would give the odds to get a K , an A or a 5 (11 outs) , so I call.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another interesting lesson.

"If I bet or raise here, what better hands will fold, and what worse hands will call?"

Seems like a pretty important question and a pretty important street. I like the concept of Equity Denial though. Why wait for your opponent to make a random pair when you can bet him out of the hand on the flop or turn when you still have the best hand.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Day 12 finished.

Thank you for this important lesson, asking the question "If I bet or raise here, what better hands will fold, and what worse hands will call ?" is a very intelligent reaction at the river.

The quiz answer :

1. The correct play is check because it's a multi-way spot and opponents cannot call with worse hand.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the test Q, I think that because of having three villans that I would check it down.
I like the idea of stopping to ask yourself what will happen if I bet or raise. There will be places that you can get in an extra bet and improve your win rate!

jonasz warzecha

jonasz warzecha

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would bet the river
No action pre flop post flop and the turn somehow would tell is big chance to put everyone on fold.

Maybe like you said that should be raise preflop and we probably would play only against A3.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, day 12 finished. Nice advice how to play in the river.
1. The hero should be check. Because the villain probably have worst hand than the hero.

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Day 12 complete. The optimal play is to check. This decision makes sense as it's a multi-player situation. Thanks for this lesson!

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars