Reviewing a session with a hud

thecpkid

thecpkid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I just bought a DriveHUD two days ago and I am loving most of the features. The main thing that I still don't understand how to use it for, (and this goes for all the huds I've tried) is how to review my play post-session. What should I look for when going through hands. Should I have other software open? Would it be easier if I tagged hands as I played? Please help as I want to get the full value of my purchase!

C

ccres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I just bought a DriveHUD two days ago and I am loving most of the features. The main thing that I still don't understand how to use it for, (and this goes for all the huds I've tried) is how to review my play post-session. What should I look for when going through hands. Should I have other software open? Would it be easier if I tagged hands as I played? Please help as I want to get the full value of my purchase!

Hi. Do you play primarily cash games or tournaments?

P

PokerWahoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of the ones like PT4 have estimates on where each stat should be for the average winning player. If you compare yourself against "normal" winning stats, then you can see where you may not be playing optimally. Some deviations can probably be explained, but I'm sure you will notice somewhere to improve.

Hopefully DriverHUD has this type of feature

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's a link to an article I found a few months back by James Sweeney on how he suggests you should review hands which I found very helpful and would recommend to point in you in the right direction (https://www.splitsuit.com/review-own-poker-hands-and-practice). I'd also suggest looking through the archives on Smart Study Poker podcast because Sky has several really good resources where he discusses hand review which might further help you out. As far as which hands to study I think you should start with the hands that either won or lost really big so that you can analyze why you won/lost so much, (use the HUD to see if you had range advantage/disadvantage given v's HUD stats, calculate odds and see if your moves were the best or not, try practicing hand reading on their hand if it went to showdown). After going through those hands move to hands that you were unsure of (so ones you tagged during your play sessions). You should tailor the hand review to what you want to look at specifically but I'd generally suggest the same sort of stuff and in your HUD you should be able to filter for several stats to look at certain plays independent of each other.