Revealing too much on how you play?

D

dumbdonut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't it a disadvantage to tell someone else about how you played a hand or how you play in general? I feel like I have my own unique style of playing and it gets me deep, I just don't have the patience to build my bankroll the right way but if I was ever a professional I wouldn't want to discuss hands with anyone.

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Discussing hands can show you where are you making mistakes and how to fix it by different ways... It helps a lot to improve your own game.

T

TryTo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You may kill your interlocutor after your revealing. And he will take away in the grave secrets of your unique style. :)

Fknife

Fknife

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't it a disadvantage to tell someone else about how you played a hand or how you play in general?[..] if I was ever a professional I wouldn't want to discuss hands with anyone.

Sometimes you get paid much more for making coaching videos, writing books/articles etc then you would make actually playing poker :rolleyes:

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can learn from other players but if you dnt like to share your play its your right

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are right discussing your play with others can put you at a disadvantage but only in some ways. IMO if you do not vary how you play, if your sharing with people whom you play against regularly and if its in game against your opponents. At the same time tho I've seen people discuss hands at the table and they are setting people up to use what they shared against them later, or to get an idea of how their opponents think.
Discussing play with trusted friends or on forums like this one tho can be a great way to gain much insight. You may have leaks in your game revealed, you could also gain perspective into the minds of others you are facing at the tables as they share their strategy and thoughts.