Reflection Time: What Are the Leaks in Your Game?

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Plugging Leaks In Your Game
Hello fellow CC'ers,

Today, I have finally come to terms with one of my biggest reasons for not having a poker bankroll, despite my occasional success. I have cashed in freerolls and finished in the top 3 of many .10 sit and go's and even the occasional .50 too. But despite this success, I have a leak - a habit that costs me money time after time when I play poker.

Look back at you poker game over the last few years. After you reflect, share with us what the leak in your game is. What is holding you back from moving up in this game and how to you intend to address it?

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As is customary, I will place my neck on the chopping block.

I have a leak in live games and online games. A double whammy!!

In online games, I tend to get impatient and go to the ring tables in an effort to make quick money. Of course, I am doing this without without the required 100 x Buy-in for those games. An it does not matter how good you think you are, variance will catch up with you!

In live games I do pretty well, finishing ITM more often than not. However, I end up using my winnings in every day expenses :(. I have not mastered the discipline of keeping my bankroll separate.

These leaks of mine, have been sinking the poker boat. But no more!! This is the final straw. I want to move up and it starts now.

Feel free to check up on me in this thread. I will do the same. Quote this line so that I will know and I urge all those who reply to do the same. Quote the following...

Hello redboy23,

Have you plugged your leaks completely? Just checking in on you. Letting you know, I am routing for you! You can do it.

Let us support each other :) like this post and bare you soul here :). You are not alone!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online - Use excel to track your winnings. Since you do well in MTT's I am assuming that is where you get your bankroll from. Have a separate tab for MTT's and cash. Decide what percentage of your tournament winnings you are willing to move for cash game play and stick strictly to that. Play only at the stakes that allows you to play at - and play it for fun - not for quick wins.

When you can see what is happening on the spreadsheet you will develop more discipline - nobody is looking except you. Once you experience the pride of improvement it will help your discipline.

Live - if you really enjoy this you need to make sure you keep a fund for it. Again - decide up front what percentage you can keep and stick to it. If it is 20% and you win $100 - then keep $20 of it and put the $80 in your tournament fund. If you win $500 you get to keep $100 of it.

Again - nobody else is watching or cares - this is just to make sure you enjoy it more. :)

K

Kaban

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online - Use excel to track your winnings. Since you do well in MTT's I am assuming that is where you get your bankroll from. Have a separate tab for MTT's and cash. Decide what percentage of your tournament winnings you are willing to move for cash game play and stick strictly to that. Play only at the stakes that allows you to play at - and play it for fun - not for quick wins.

When you can see what is happening on the spreadsheet you will develop more discipline - nobody is looking except you. Once you experience the pride of improvement it will help your discipline.

Live - if you really enjoy this you need to make sure you keep a fund for it. Again - decide up front what percentage you can keep and stick to it. If it is 20% and you win $100 - then keep $20 of it and put the $80 in your tournament fund. If you win $500 you get to keep $100 of it.

Again - nobody else is watching or cares - this is just to make sure you enjoy it more. :)
Written very nicely and competently. I really would like to adhere to the strategy of% ratio.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I need to have a bankroll to face the moments of loss.
It's the same bankroll that allows me to escape the moments of bad luck. Ever read that one of the most important aspects of poker, is to overcome the variance.
When the variance turns against me, I must change my game, and make a more conservative management of my banking.
I think the key to bankroll is to use it in the most efficient way possible, in order to minimize losses.
Greetings.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One of the leaks in my game is I do not protect my blinds. And I don't care to improve it. I like the results I produce with my play and maybe in the future I will work on it, but feel I have no need to work on it at this time.

When there is only $1500 starting chips and blinds are 30/60, I am sorry but there is only one or two times you can raise to get a person off your blind and if you don't connect that time or two, you are looking at less than 500 chips to play with. I would rather raise a person a time or two when I have a premium hand than call a raise with 42os and I am the big blind.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My one on my leaks is getting too emotion al when I play. If I’m on a roll I tend to over play my hands before I get cooled down so I play too many marginal hands out of position and get too ****y
I take a break after a winning streak think about other things. Try not to get over confident. Spend some money on other things

Conversely when I have a bad beat it bother me for a long time. I learn to take a break and not play if that happens. If I start losing streak sometimes I tilt a bit and try to play more hands IP so I can bluff players and what ends up happening against better players is I spew my chips when they call my bluff Sometines it’s better to sit out and just accept the lose

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
My biggest leak was that I refused to accept a losing session. I just kept playing until I got even or I just wasn't able to keep my eyes open any longer. Sometimes played for days. That lead to some very big losing sessions since I played with less and less concentration and mental sharpness after a certain time.

It was my big ego that hurt me. Now with the help of mindfulness techniques and some other insight of what is important in life my ego is under control.

Nowadays I also have a normal job that takes a lot of time, so I can only play poker a few hours a day at the most anyways - so the problem solved itself in a way - or two ways. One by training it away and one by the necessity of life.

Top 10 Games